Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the dimensions of an 8 frame hive body? Length and Width only, Im sure the depth is the same.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Dadant's and others' boxes are 13 3/4" wide, 19 7/8" long. Leaves lots of room to manipulate frames without squashing bees and queen.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that outside dimensions? I don't know what I was thinking, of course the length would be the same. Apparently, I wasn't.:doh:

I built a bait hive, and the inner dimensions came out 12" wide. I have not had time to drop any frames in it, but I think that 8 frames will fit in it. Probably only use 7.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Not an answer to you're question.
I just read an article in bee culture that says 8 frame hives build up faster than 10 frame hives in the spring.

interesting

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Width of 8-frame equipment does vary, Michael Bush has some of the variations listed on his web site, you should check it out. One of those standard dimensions are what I chose for mine which is 13-3/4" outside width, and that gives me a 12-1/4" inside width.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks fellows. Just curious. My bait hive is 12" inside dimensions, and I will probably put 7 frames in it. Where I plan to take it, it will be several weeks, maybe over a month, before I can check it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts