Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever put an 8 frame super on 10 frame equipment. Can you make a spacer for each side of the 10 frame box to fit an 8 frame box going on top? I am getting older and those 10 frame supers are getting heavier, but don't want to replace everything at once. Thought about doing it over time starting with just 8 frame honey supers on top.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Just nail some scabs on the sides of the 8 frame box. This works peachy. It reinforces the box and lets you use 10 frame bottom boards or change stack width on the fly.
I saw a 2x2 or 2x3 on a bevel and generate 2 scabs per piece. You need 1 1/4 inches or so. The scab can be permanent and give 8 frame boxes a "japanese" look when stacked together.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,199 Posts
>Anyone ever put an 8 frame super on 10 frame equipment.

This was the normal setup for Carl Killion. He ran eight frame supers on ten frame brood boxes. I've done it many times. Here is a picture of an eight frame on top of a ten frame with a 20" long one by three on the side:

http://bushfarms.com/images/TenFrameToEight.JPG

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes. I did it last year when I ran out of boxes. I put an 8 frame deep on a 10 frame medium. My elite set up consisted of a strip of wood secured to the deep with duct tape. Fancy, huh? It made a nice flap I could open and peek into.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
A lot of commercial guys do this. The top 8 frame box is shoved to one side and a strip of wood covers the gap. The bees will glue it down quickly and once glues it will stick back every time you open it. The reason the commercial guys do this is for feeding. The frame feeder is under the wood strip and all they have to do is lift the strip and fill the feeder. Quick way to feed for sure.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
I have been running short of supers every year even though I keep making more. The winter dieoff is a blessing or I would be real short. Here I have an eight frame box on top of a twelve frame hive.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I've never considered bees dying as a blessing. You have a way with words that surpasses all understanding!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I was curious about this too. The scab idea sounds real good--and probably looks good. But a strip of wood makes sense for access to hive/feeder. Im going to have to give this a try. I have too much 8 frame equipment sitting on the sidelines.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Challenger, that is a great idea! I've wondered how you can get into the feeder reasonably when you have stack of supers on the hive. Didn't think about 8 on 10.
Why would you need to get to the feeder when you have a stack of supers on the hive?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Sorry, I pretty much refer to the boxes about the bottom as supers. I just assumed that you would put the feeder in the top, but I also saw someone just slide the top box over a bit to refill a feeder. But I'm clumsy, so I could see the top boxes falling over. :D

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I had thought about running them 10's over 8's

I switched over to mostly 8 frame deeps, and have a lot of 10 frame equipment. Think of the good ventilation and accessibility for a large colony during the flow. I bet they would love this.

You could close it up or reduce it easily with a 1x2 or even just a piece of tape.

Sure the top super would be heavy..I just empty a few frames one at a time if it's too heavy to wrestle off. Makes use of equipment though and use of the generous 'top' entrance would be interesting to observe.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I have been running short of supers every year even though I keep making more. The winter die off is a blessing or I would be real short. Here I have an eight frame box on top of a twelve frame hive.
Wouldn't want to have to make up some nucs and get those sold. maybe this is just one of those easier ways that are preferred. I find dead hives much easier to manage as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.