Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a phone call today about a swarm on the bottom of a mailbox. Upon arrival I found the swarm was about the size of a softball. To make the residence happy I brought the swarm home and put it in a hive. Tonight I'm thinking about removing two frames of broad from a strong hive I have along with a couple frames of honey. Then they would have 6 frames still to draw out and I will be feeding 1:1 until it get a little closer. I will be replacing these good frames with undrawn frames into the strong hive. Do you think it is safe to do this or should I just kill the swarm queen and combine these bees with another kinda weak hive. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
You could just give them nothing and let them draw comb for you. They may not draw much, but you have nothing in them so not much of a loss.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I would feed them all they will take until it gets too cold. If they are not ready for Winter, you can always squish the queen and combine. I did a split on August 10th last year, and those two hives are two of my best this year. You never know what miracle those bees will perform.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
"Tonight I'm thinking about removing two frames of broad from a strong hive I have along with a couple frames of honey. ... Do you think it is safe to do this or should I just kill the swarm queen and combine these bees with another kinda weak hive. Any help would be appreciated."

I would probably give them three or four frames of empty drawn comb, two frames of honey, and a cup or two of nurse bees. I would not remove more than one frame of brood from a good hive at this time of year and would not kill a queen right now. I would decide later whether to combine them with another colony.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a similar problem. I'm not sure if the swarm originated from one of my hives, but it collected in a neighbor's tree. There it stayed for about a half an hour until it took to the sky again. It came to rest on top of the hive from which it (I think) originated. An all out brawl ensured. Dozens of dead bees agh the foot of the hive. Tonight the swarm is still sitting atop the hive. I have installed an entry restricter. Any thoughts on my next step? I have no extra boxes or frames.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
This is mine for today, grapefruit size:

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
"Any thoughts on my next step? I have no extra boxes or frames."
Given your parameters, your options include:
1. Move some frames around, empty the bees out of a super, put these bees in that super, and do a newspaper combine with a weak hive;
2. Put them in a cardboard box and call a beekeeper friend or look at the St. Louis Craigslist for someone who wants bees;
3. Leave them alone and see what happens; or
4. Transport them away in a manner that is lawful and not harmful to your psyche.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I'd give them 2 frames of brood, one of honey and call it aday. Feed them pollen sub if you can and overwinter on top of a strong hive and I bet they'll make it. I'd also use a frame feeder to feed them 1:1 for a couple weeks then switch to 2:1. I collected a swarm similar in size September 3rd last year and they did fine, I did give them drawn comb (4-5 frames) which helped them tremendously which is why you need to give them some brood frames.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Caught a swarm about the size of a large grapefruit here in AL on 8/19 also. Got them in a 5 frame deep nuc with 1:1 syrup right now. Plan to give them a couple frames of honey and one or two frames of brood, put them in an 8 frame deep and see what they do. Caught one about the same size about the same date last year, did the same thing and they turned out great. od, what is your swarm hanging from? Shade cloth?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts