Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New beek, been a lurker for awhile now.

I installed a 5 frame nuc March 31,

Two weeks ago they looked good, brood of all ages and eggs and they were queen right. But I found a capped queen cell and destroyed it (not a swarm cell) They have plenty of undrawn Ritecell foundation. I have been feeding inverted qt of 1:1

Last week, couldn’t see the queen, and saw no eggs, the larva was mostly older. Saw 9 queen cells, all un-capped but with lava. So I left them all. They only had a couple of frames of un-drawn foundation so I added a hive body.

This week, no larva, or eggs, some capped brood and 7 capped queen cells.

My question is. Do I leave all 7 queen cells and let them fight it out? Or do I destroy all but one?

They were capped within the last week. My guess would be within the last couple of days.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
What I like to do if they ate on multiple frames and the colony ( or any colony ) is strong enough is to set one of the frames aside in a small mating nuc as it will double your chances of one of them returning if one doesn't make it back you can te combine and if they both make it back you have a mated queen on standby to let build up or do whatever else you need. With that being said this yr was a rebuilding yr for me because I was not prepaired for the hard winter we had so I just let them figure it out as neither of my hives were strong enough to pull a nuc off

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
typically they don't fight it out unless all of those eggs were layed at the exact same time. The queen out first almost immediately runs thru hive and ends all of the other cells by chewing a hole in the side.

I think harley craigs advice is something I would do if I had enough bees to go around. The break in brood is a setback not seen for a few weeks later, but they will be hurting especially with the onset of summer dearth. I would move the new nuc away a few miles or you'll lose alot of flyers that drift back to the mother hive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts