Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bees have bee in the hive for exactly 6 weeks today. What are your experienced eyes seeing here. the pics are in order of how the comb is in the TBH. we tried to get a picture of both sides, but a few of the combs might not be included because we got my face in the picture. The last comb isn't fully developed because i someone suggested i add an additional at the entrance to give them some space at the entrance but they still decided to make a new comb on that bar (should have seen that coming)

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/c3dgbf7blf3lh8q/AAAHWivcEJ1wR1MuNOeVJTsRa


Thank you for your help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
I'm a newb with a TBH too and everything looked good to me. Nice looking comb. Are you worried about something specifically?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no i'm just such a n00b with 2 young kids that i haven't had time to read everything there is to know so i just wanted to post them for the more experienced to make sure i wasn't missing anything serious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
thats from 6 weeks in? holy.... I wound up splitting at about week 4 cause my bees were stuffed into a single 10 frame deep, but the TBH is finally taking off, but nowhere near where you are at now though. I suppose if I were to combine the hives it might make up for it though.

That is so cool. I want one! I might have a (nother) winter project.
I enjoy my TBH far more than my lang. With the TBH I can go out, not smoke and take a peek at how they are doing. The lang however, I can get away with opening the cover but thats it. If I attempted to remove frames, there would be much anger. That and I find the TBH easier to inspect, manipulate an work all around. I've only broken comb once and it was one I had transferred from the lang to the TBH, bees hadnt quite reattached it well enough, it fell while putting it back.

You can make one out of a 4x4 sheet of plywood, 31 1 1/2" bars, some cove molding and 5ft of vinyl siding. total cost minus paint comes to about $40.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
personally, i wouldn't make a top bar out of plywood. the cost savings isn't a ton. the delaminating issues from not being weatherproofed enough don't make much sense when you can build one pretty easy out of a pine 1x12 or if you are handy with glue/clamping 1x6's put together. or spend around 60 and use cedar 1x6's joined together and skip the paint.

OP pics look good. I'd be real careful flipping combs vertical like that. new comb or in hot weather they might break on you.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top