Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi I am making a bunch of pallets for the first time and the style I want is a side load, like the 6 way pallets and I would love some tips on things that may help with strength and ease of use in the field, like space between the back of the hives for tipping.
Also I am going with a common type cover for 2 hives side by side, the single common covers are too heavy to mess with all day.

I have seen some designs online and they are for a different loading pallet, this one is different.

I have a prototype/template pallet made , but no covers yet and any constructive criticism would be great ! I don't have much time left to build these and I have a large supply of material that I purchased for my "template" I made and I guessed at the top cover materials.

Thanks
Ben L

Click on my facebook link to see the photos of the pallet I just took please.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
constructive criticism would be great !
One thing about pointing the hives out to the sides of the truck is that it helps with the rocking action, as the rocking movement on a truck is side to side. Also by having the hives point to the sides helps with keeping the hives consistently cooled. An even amount of air flow will hit all hive entrances as you drive. With the pointing frontward design only the fount hives at the frount of the truck will get air flow

Also the strenth of your pallet will be stronger if you run the runners lenthways ( the otherway you have them ) as the 2*4 will then be supporting all the weight of your hives, and not just your plywood and pallet skids. The skids will strengthen the pallet by none as the board is flat side. You will find the pallet bend as you pick you hives, and you will find the pallets twist when they are put onto uneven ground.

just some thoughts as you asked for them :)

The hive pallet looks great.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I think your better off if you have the skids and 2x4 other way around. You could also move the entrance to the long side.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
we have a 2 inch space rather than your 4 inches. our cover has a cleat front and back so it does not slide off and they butt against each other. If a second body is on it will move when you tighted straps. I like everything tight so nothing moves from strapping or truck movement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts