Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
One thing I've seen, and I'm going to construct in my 6f boxes over winter, is that half frames fit perfectly in them sideways
Yep.
One should always think about and design in the compatibility between the systems.
The fundamental compatibility is already there - the right angle (not using the right angle - what makes the funny systems, e.g. KTBHs, Hex hives, log hives - PITA).

·
Registered
347 Posts
I might switch to double nucs (pairs of skinny hives) sometime.
advantages:
  1. Join hives to prevent toppling.
  2. smaller hives
  3. Shared heat: The 2 hives make 1 cluster (according to Michael Palmer and Richard Noel).
  4. good for mini frames
my goal: Making bees is more important than harvesting honey.

What I have
  1. medium frames
  2. 4 way queen castle (2 fr./hive): Its hard to get the resources I want in 2 frames. I want honey, capped brood, and some open brood to keep nurse bees from leaving.
double nuc design ideas
  1. Mini frame nucs are probably a priority. Design the mini frames and nuc feeders first. This determines box width.
  2. Easy to separate hives (unlike Palmer double nucs)
  3. number of frames: Michael Palmer and Richard Noel have had success with 4 framers. Has anyone used 6 framers?
  4. Join hives to prevent toppling.
    1. Palmer double nucs use a shared outer cover, bottom box, and bottom board.
    2. my ideas
      1. Make hives easy to separate.
      2. Use a shared stand that bottom boards peg into.
      3. possibly separate outer covers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Interesting posts here , You should look up Gilles denis a French warre beekeeper that runs 300 warre hives

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
Guys did a side-by-side whole summer project - comparison of 6-framer vs. 12 framer (Dadant system).

Short resume:
Starting in the preceding fall, two identical young queen bees and bee colonies were taken - creating a 6-frame and a 12-frame hive. During the entire beekeeping season, the bee colonies were treated in the same way, they stood side by side through all summer migrations, and all the honey harvested was weighed. The small-format 6-frame hive showed itself better in early flows from acacia, sweet clover, etc., but the 12-frame hive was 25 percent more effective in the beekeeping season as a whole. The total weight of honey from the hives turned out to be 150 kg from the 6-framer and 200 kg from the 12-framer.

Comment from me - an important detail I got from the video - the 6-framer was a hard-foam hive (the brood box); the 12-framer was a conventional wooden hive.
Also, they kept taking off the capped supers off the 6-framer just to manage its height.
Still - pound for pound - the 6-framer killed it hands down.
Might as well run two 6-framers side by side (adds up to a 12-framer) and get 300 kg from the same footprint.
LOL.

Source:

Начиная с осени были взяты две одинаковые молодые пчелиные матки и пчелиные семьи созданные в 6-ти рамочном и 12 рамочном улье. Весь пчеловодный сезон за пчелиными семьями велся одинаковый уход, на кочевке они стояли рядом и весь собраный на медоносах мед с магазинов взвешивался. Малоформатный 6-ти рамочный улей показал себя лучше на ранних взятках с акации, донника и тд , но зато 12 рамочный улей эффективней на 25 процентов сработал по пчеловодному сезону в целом. Общий вес меда с улья получился 150 кг с шестирамочника и 200 кг с 12 рамочного дадана.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's a very interesting outcome, thanks for conducting this little experiment. How many boxes did you use? Double brood box I assume and how many honey supers?
I am thinking of setting up some AZ hives on a trailer, maybe I should build them as six framers instead of the ten frames.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
How many boxes did you use?
Was not me who did the experiment.
I am just reporting what I found out from others and included the source - which is clear.

Detailed videos are here (several pieces) - you can scan and see for yourself.
Status at the start of July:
Status at the end of July:
Status on August 11:
End of the season:
Status in October:

The channel:

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
From the channel comments:
  • May one say that two 6-framers is better than one 12-framer?
  • 100% to say so. We had two 6-framer all summer long working on honey. The pair produced more than 300 kg.
  • Will you increase the number of the 6-framers in your business.
  • Probably so. :)
- For the next year will try to test 6-framer, 8-framer, 10-framer and 12-framer and will see.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, the thanks for putting the hard work in and translating all the posts. :)
what are the little ramps on the hive entrances for?
Cane toads over here would have a field day munching away those little protein bee snacks.
Looks like I might try the 2x 6 frames in a 12 frame hive.
If one was to do the double hive, would one get a way with one lid, or would one need two lids, one for each hive section?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Ramps - in E. Euro they are big into the "ramps" - to help the heavily loaded bees into the hives (I am not a subscriber to this, btw). Since they don't have the cane toads or the skunks - the ramps do not hurt (and may actually help in cold weather - I observed the benefit of the ramps and use them sparingly in very early/very late season).

Double-hive - does not matter - do what is convenient to you.
I have done it in my long hives for wintering reasons - just a rigid plastic separator inserted in a groove and soft inner covers, that simple.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If there is a double nuc in a normal full depth box with a single lid, wouldn’t there be issues if bees from both hives crawl over to the other hive?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
If there is a double nuc in a normal full depth box with a single lid, wouldn’t there be issues if bees from both hives crawl over to the other hive?
Use soft inner covers.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts