Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone used 6 5/8" supers for hive bodies to keep everthing uniform?and if so any luck?thinking about trying it out because of weight issue..and i think they build the comb neater and much easier to pull frames out to observe brood.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Yep, I'm doing it, all mediums for everything, brood and honey. I'm also doing it foundationless, just a waxed starter strip of wood in the frame (1/8" thick and 3/4" high glued in). I like the idea of everything being interchangeable, and lighter weight too.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The hive is made for our convenience not the bees. As long as they are provided enough space for brood and winter stores.

Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, I'm doing it, all mediums for everything, brood and honey. I'm also doing it foundationless, just a waxed starter strip of wood in the frame (1/8" thick and 3/4" high glued in). I like the idea of everything being interchangeable, and lighter weight too.
im sorry i meant the 5 11/16" shallow super

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Still applies. Give them enough room and it is fine.
You may find it is a ton more work though.
Imagine... 2 deeps = 20 frames. 3 Med = 30 frames. 4 or 5 Shallows = 40 - 50 frames. That doesn't include honey supers.

Mike

·
Registered
706 Posts
Buy the Book Back yard beekeing by Kim Flottum his book does a real great job on how to do what you asked.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yep, have been doing that for years. Mainly for ease of lifting on my old back. Run all med with the exception of honey supers. Their shallows. They seldom lay brood in shallows, after three meds are in place.
Remember three meds equal two deeps for space. My boomers have had four meds full at times, just reduce to three for winter. Love the ease of interchangability of frames!

Kind regards,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts