Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was sitting on my deck yesterday enjoying an adult beverage or several when I looked in my garage and saw a 55 gallon fish tank that has not been used in several years. I thought to my self that would be a REEAAALLLLLY cool bee hive.

So I thought I would it out the crowd to get some R&D ideas.

It stands about 20 inches tall, is roughly 36 inches wide and 12 inches deep. All off the top of my head.

It would have to have a top entrance. Frames would have to be special made.

Essentially it would be a top bar hive. I figured it could be insulated with foam insulation in the winter.

Would the bees not like the full sun in the hive?

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
A fun idea, but I suspect the glass would make it cook in sunlight. How about covering it with an outer box, and using it more as an observation hive?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The sun would most likely cook the comb and bees. You would either have to have it in FULL SHADE all the time, or insulate it all the time through the day.

·
Registered
180 Posts
There is a guy on YouTube that made an indoor top bar hive out of one, with tubes to get in and out through the wall. But if it's in a garage already, then you could keep it there covered, with tubes going through the garage wall to the outside. Solves the shade problem, and would entertain while drinking adult beverages. You would just have bees in the garage for minimal times while you work the hive if need be.

In fact, I have an old leaking 55 gallon tank that I thnk I will try that with. My 21" top bars will already fit it, so could just move an existing hive into it. Could fill the bottom with sand to lower the internal cavity height. Would be easy to warm in the winter. Would be fun to watch their progress;)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
As mentioned above, you could turn it into a really large observation hive. Put it on it's own stand inside the house type of deal. You would want to make sure you didn't open it inside though. lol

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hummmm, I could make a window entrance to eliminate the need to go through the wall. In other words, a couple hoses running to something installed in the window.

How would one install the bees? LOL. How would one inspect and extract honey?

This is going to happen.....as long as the boss allows it :eek:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
HMM.. Installation of the bees could be done in several ways. You could cut down a few frames and screw the top bar to them and keep the existing comb to get them started on like 5 frames. Then move as a NUC into the new hive.

Inspection would be done like any top bar hive. Only due to the depth you may have to make a frame rest for the bar.
Extraction of excess honey would have to be done via crush and strain.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HMM.. Installation of the bees could be done in several ways. You could cut down a few frames and screw the top bar to them and keep the existing comb to get them started on like 5 frames. Then move as a NUC into the new hive.

Inspection would be done like any top bar hive. Only due to the depth you may have to make a frame rest for the bar.
Extraction of excess honey would have to be done via crush and strain.
No No, I mean the hive is in the house....LOL

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Well in that case. lol.. Let's see.. I'm guessing put it on a cart that can be wheeled outside easily when it comes time for the inspections.. The rest should hold true from there.. :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
I know the beek that's helping me said he made one out of a fish tank 20 years ago . The tank he use he said would fit standard deep frames .

So a fish tank Observation hive is doable .

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would the fact the the hive would never feel the winter cold (being inside a warm house) fool the bees into never hibernating and leave the hive in the middle of the winter and diw off

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Basically due to the open etrance tubes you will be using they will feel the cold air. They just won't go out. It will be like a normal observation hive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts