Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I installed my Package in late April, I filled my Boardman Feeder with syrup. It took them a few days to get started on it, then they were sucking down a bottle a day.

About a month ago, it slowed to about a 1/2 bottle a day and then I added my second super. At that point, I thought they were done with it as the 1/2 full bottle sat there and took a full week to empty.

Since I had some left that I didn't want to dump out, I refilled the bottle and it seemed to take a week for them to empty it.

I tyhen filled the bottle with the last of my mix and the next day, they sucked it down. So, I made a single bottle again and, again, 1 days it was gone.

Now, since I mixed another gallon, they are taking about 1 1/2 bottles a day! More than before.

Should I just stop feeding them, of wait until they stop taking it? I have about 5 bottles left (or about 3 days supply).

Are they eating more because the second floor is there or because they are getting lots of pollen again. (It seemed during the period when they stopped taking it, I rarely saw a single been hauling pollen. Now I see lots of them again.)

So, I'm stumped.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds to me like they have been getting some minor honey flows that pull them away from the hive and when that happens they will stop taking the syrup. If it was mine I would go ahead and feed it till they come to a total stop. You will need both of those boxes maxed out to get you through the winter. If it is still light after your honey flow start feeding them again till it either fills out or gets to cold to continue feeding syrup. Keep an eye on them and watch what is blooming. Good Luck

·
Registered
311 Posts
If they need it, they will take it. If they don't they wont. Having the feeder on wont cause any harm, plus they can take it when its raining or at night. If you are in need of drawn comb, the extra source of food will be a benifit. Just remember not to use any medicated feed durring the honey flow.

Cheers!

John Russell

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
<Having the feeder on wont cause any harm>

Not entirely accurate. Feeders cause robbing, dripping on the brood nest, rancid sugar water, unwanted insects/arachnoids and other problems. Administration of Honey Bee Colonies is a balancing act. If non of these problems occur you can feed until they build up for the winter. If the benefit is outweighed by the harm, remove the feeders.

Hawk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts