Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two honey supers from a hive that has been unmanaged for 5 years. All the honey is capped, smells good, looks good, no indication of pests. I know the history of this hive for the last 5 years. Will the honey be okay to eat? Will not sell it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Welcome; I suggest you edit your profile to identify your location. Because all beekeeping is local, knowledge of location is necessary not only to fully understand the inquiry, but also the quality of the response.

If I knew the history of the hive for for the “unmanaged” hive, and nothing indicated a problem even as to the earlier “managed” period, then your existing bees are indicating it must be among nature’s best. It won’t have a government’s label, but I bet it passes the taste test for both men and bees.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I guess we'll find out on both counts--extracting this weekend and I will update! Thank you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We extracted--the honey was very thick and some had indeed crystalized. It didn't help that the honey frames were around 67 degrees in the house, as opposed to 80 to 90 degrees when we usually extract later in the summer. It tastes good, and we got about 25 lbs. I had to heat the cappings in order to separate the honey from the wax, and it obviously got pretty hot, so I'm going to offer that batch to a friend whose father makes moonshine.
Thank you for all your help!

Sarah

1 - 5 of 5 Posts