Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plans for a pollen trap say to use 5 mesh hardware cloth, I can get some in 19 gauge. That would leave 21/128" gap.
I have read that a bee can get through 5/32" (1/128" smaller) but wasn't sure if it would be too inconvenient for the bees. Is this gauge practical for use in a pollen trap?
thanks

·
Registered
717 Posts
brushymountainbeefarm.com sells #5 by the foot (3 feet wide) if you have concerns

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I check their prices it was $1.85 for 1 Linear foot (1'x2').
Unfortunately the shipping was $11.79. If 19 gauge mesh would work I would rather use it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
good luck - maybe you could add some items and make the shipping cost reasonable...

Perhaps you'll just realize 1/128 percent less pollen collected:rolleyes: - keep your thread alive as I have found out that sometimes it will get pushed down the ladder to the point that those that might have REAL answers never see it.

Michael

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Try
http://www.mcmaster.com/#
They should be able to help and there shipping is better. If you can't find something it is the go to place. their only down fall is to get a catalog ouy of them is like pulling a tooth out of a lion that is wide awake:)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks My-smokepole, I check it out ….Weather-Resistant Galv Steel Woven Wire Cloth 5 X 5 Mesh, .035" Wire Diameter, 12" X 24" Sheet for $9.04 @ mcmaster. Not sure what they charge for shipping.
I have found it for cheaper but it comes in .035" wire diameter, unfortunately they also require a minimum order of $100+ dollars.

The plans that I got the hardware cloth dimensions from are here on beesource … http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yourself/pollen-traps-trapping-pollen-from-honey-bee-colonies/

I might be able to offer the 5 mesh 19 gauge hardware cloth cut to the dimensions specified in the auger hole trap for about $1.90 shipping included. I have 8 mesh and aluminum screening to substitute for the copper that I could send for $.75 more ($2.65). Or perhaps some other dimensions, just pm.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I would call them 1630-833-0300 They have all is been fast on service, and fair on shipping. Look in their woven wire choth are I found 1/4 3/8, And 1/2
David/toledo

·
Registered
387 Posts
For you folks out west, Howard Wire 510-887-8787. Be prepared to buy 100 lineal ft get together to make it affordable.

Central US, Edward J Darby & Son 800-875-6374 again be ready to buy 100 lineal ft.

You can beat McMaster Carr by a very long shot, they wanted 900.00 for 300 sq ft, Howard wants 300.00 for 300 sq ft.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am looking for the same stuff, except I am making a large Queen Excluder out of it. So far, the best site I have found (Shipping not considered) is TWP, Inc. . They have the 5 mesh hardware cloth, but I would have to buy a whole roll (36"X100' @ $175) to get the dimensions I need. I am not quite ready to buy a whole 100' of mesh. However, I would buy it in smaller quantities (provided the dimensions are correct) from someone else who wants to get rid of their extra.

Thoughts? Does anyone already have a role of this stuff they want to get rid of?

·
Registered
357 Posts
You may want to try amazon i got some 1/8" galvanized wire there i while back.I think i paid $22.00 for a roll.I am also thinking of building a pollen trap from the plans hear on Beesource.Anybody have any experience with them?

·
Registered
2 Posts
1/8" is what I use on my bottom boards. It doesn't let bees through at all, so it wouldn't work for either a pollen trap or an excluder. The size I am looking for (which Amazon doesn't have sadly) is 4.5 mm.

Thanks though

·
Registered
387 Posts
I can't remember correctly, but I believe Howard wire is the supplier for TWP, or perhaps it's the other way around, I remember talking with both companies about a year ago, The shipping with one company was reasonable, and with the other it was not. But that's working from my year old Horrible memory.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts