Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,250 Posts
I have not used these for honey, but there are bucket lids that are "screw-on," rather than "hammer-on". For instance:

Those lids have a lip that replaces the "hammer-on" part, then after that point you just unscrew them to open the bucket. I have also seen these lids at Lowes, so I suspect they are readily available at other outlets as well.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi, I had the same problems with the pails being brittle. I ship 5 gallon s of honey by ups and usps and dont need another problem. I buy Leitica pails from Uline. They are a high quality pail, much superior than those from lowes etc. A couple bucks more.Those stores might have the same brands from time to time, but NOT the same quality.
You get what you pay for. Also, don't use used pails to sell honey in. We sell a premium product and used buckets don't purvey a quality image.
Nick
gridleyhollow.com

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
Lowe's also sells the Gamma Seal lids for their food grade buckets. The opening is smaller so I don't think the buckets will drain all that well. I looked into them and chose not to use them. They are a good choice for storing dry goods like rice and macaroni etc.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Gamma lids are great in concept but don’t work for me for 3 reasons: (1) the 400 and 200 micron filters I use to drain honey out of my extractor will not fit within the rim of the Gamma lid while in place; (2) Gamma lid rings (the female portion that stays on the bucket) are incredibly difficult to remove and a regular bucket will not survive taking it on and off multiple times; and (3) the ring that remains on the bucket traps water when you are rinsing it out. That trapped water ultimately creates mold and mildew under the ring.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hi, I had the same problems with the pails being brittle. I ship 5 gallon s of honey by ups and usps and dont need another problem. I buy Leitica pails from Uline. They are a high quality pail, much superior than those from lowes etc. A couple bucks more.Those stores might have the same brands from time to time, but NOT the same quality.
You get what you pay for. Also, don't use used pails to sell honey in. We sell a premium product and used buckets don't purvey a quality image.
Nick
gridleyhollow.com
Good advice Nick. I am familiar with Uline. Will look up the Leica pail. Thank you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am finding that 5 gallon buckets used to store honey are only lasting me a couple of seasons. I buy them primarily from box stores (Lowes/Home Depot) and from Tractor Supply. The upper lips seem too thin and will crack after a few lids have been malleted on and pried off for a few seasons.

I am looking for a heavy duty bucket (Manufacturer and Retailer) that will endure a beating. Does anyone have any suggestions or sources? Thank you.
YES! Go to your local supermarket bakery and ask them to save you frosting tubs. I get all of mine for free. I've got so many I throw them away if they get too dirty. Give them a bit of honey and they love ya for it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am finding that 5 gallon buckets used to store honey are only lasting me a couple of seasons. I buy them primarily from box stores (Lowes/Home Depot) and from Tractor Supply. The upper lips seem too thin and will crack after a few lids have been malleted on and pried off for a few seasons.

I am looking for a heavy duty bucket (Manufacturer and Retailer) that will endure a beating. Does anyone have any suggestions or sources? Thank you.

·
Registered
10 Posts

I get my 5 gallon buckets from Menards. They are the only retailer/big box retailer that I have found to carry food grade 5 gallon pail‘s. I don’t think regular old 5 gallon pails are safe for food product based on the plastic composition. I am no expert but I come to that conclusion based on the fact there are 5 gallon pails made specifically for food based products...

·
Registered
504 Posts
I sometimes reuse buckets once or twice; however, I seldom reuse the lids. High quality honey is worth the lid with that peels off, IMO.
I also don't buy the wally world brands, as Ihave found them to be inferior. I have had them shatter which most others do not. Another brand I will not name actually cracked in the middle of the bottom of the pail this last year when I set 2 of them on the floor. Apparently I was not gentle enough.
There are pails that will withstand fairly rough treatment. I have to throw them in the back of the truck and hand deliver after driving on what roads that are often pretty rough. One needs a decent bucket.

·
Registered
51 Posts

I get free food grade 5 gallon buckets from a middle eastern restaurant; Tahini comes in it. Here’s a hint: to remove the lid, set bucket in the sink, pour boiling water on the lid and let it set for a minute or so. It gets more pliable and you can remove the lid with your fingers, not one of those church key devices that cause little cracks in the plastic.

·
Registered
336 Posts
In general I've found the the bee supply companies sell buckets more heavy duty than the ones I can buy locally. I've been using Paragon brand buckets from Mann Lake for years with no problems. I seal the lids with a rubber mallet and pry them off with a removal tool and found them to be very durable. I haven't bought any buckets for several years so I don't know if ML still sells this brand.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
In general I've found the the bee supply companies sell buckets more heavy duty than the ones I can buy locally. I've been using Paragon brand buckets from Mann Lake for years with no problems. I seal the lids with a rubber mallet and pry them off with a removal tool and found them to be very durable. I haven't bought any buckets for several years so I don't know if ML still sells this brand.
Just looked it up on Mann Lake. They sell a 5 gallon bucket, but there are no specs or description. Typical Mann Lake. They could hire a high school class that could design a better website in a semester than the one they use.

I also googled Paragon. Their buckets are 90 mil. Your post confirms my suspicion that 90 mil is what I am seeking. Thanks for the info and sharing your experience.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I can speak highly of Paragon pails. We purchase their 2 gallon pauils for use aas feeders. The pails from 2008 are still in service, and sometimes get used twice a season. I believe I deal thru Basco, Ask for Dee???

Crazy Roland

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,882 Posts
The two buckets I bought from Brushy Mountain in 2017 were made by Paragon. They are still in perfect condition. All the others are the Encore buckets.

·
Registered
23 Posts

I get mine from the local donut shop that their jelly filling comes in. 2 bucks a piece with lids. Nice strong food grade buckets.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,882 Posts
$10 per pail with lid for the 90 mil thickness does not seem bad to me. Darn sight better than having $600 worth of honey running all over the floor. :eek:

·
Registered
60 Posts

If it's the seal that is failing then they do sell seals to replace them. If it's the bucket, I do not know why they are failing.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts