Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finding that 5 gallon buckets used to store honey are only lasting me a couple of seasons. I buy them primarily from box stores (Lowes/Home Depot) and from Tractor Supply. The upper lips seem too thin and will crack after a few lids have been malleted on and pried off for a few seasons.

I am looking for a heavy duty bucket (Manufacturer and Retailer) that will endure a beating. Does anyone have any suggestions or sources? Thank you.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I am finding that 5 gallon buckets used to store honey are only lasting me a couple of seasons. I buy them primarily from box stores (Lowes/Home Depot) and from Tractor Supply. The upper lips seem too thin and will crack after a few lids have been malleted on and pried off for a few seasons.

I am looking for a heavy duty bucket (Manufacturer and Retailer) that will endure a beating. Does anyone have any suggestions or sources? Thank you.
psm,

You might google United States Plastic Corporation and talk to them on the phone about your problem. I think that they produce several weights of plastic buckets and I'm sure that they will work with you. I've had good luck with their products.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
180 Posts
I get mine from Walmart, they are not the heaviest but I pay less than 5 dollars for bucket and lid.
I figure at that price I can buy new every couple of years.:)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
You might google United States Plastic Corporation and talk to them on the phone about your problem.
I have also had good luck with stuff at united states plastic. I got some square buckets from them and I put the honey gate all the way at the bottom. With round buckets you have to put the honey gate up some so the bucket can deform and flatten to seal. You may also be able to get buckets made from a different material that will last longer.

My other question is how/where are you storing your buckets? I have some that I leave outside and they break down from the sunlight much quicker than ones stored inside

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,517 Posts
I am only on my third year with the food grade buckets I get from Lowe's (Encore Plastics) and have not experienced any breakage yet. I use the palm of my hand to secure the tops and my fingers to pry them off. They are stored indoors all the time. They appear to be the same weight as the Brushy Mountain buckets I bought 4 years ago. Baytec Containers offers white food grade buckets that are 90 mils, instead of the 70 mils found on the buckets from Lowes, but they are more expensive.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Wow.

Its amazing that you brought this up. I was thinking just the same thing!

I use them for feeding ducks, rabbits, and other things not just bees.

And I noticed a couple years ago that it looked like the buckets being sold at Home Depot were a cheaper plastic and didn't look as solid as I thought they used to.

Years and years ago when you saw 5 gallon buckets the plastic had a dark thick sturdy look. It didn't have the shiny plastic look; and the shiny look is always cheap easy break plastic.

But I couldn't prove this other than, when knocking ice out of the top in the morning so animals could feed lately the newer ones would have the plastic bust open sometimes on this. My ego wants to say that's because of hurculean strength but that's not true.

One of the ways you can tell they are cheap plastic now is that when they are cold and you hit them with ice in they will literally shatter. But before they switched to this cheaper stuff they didn't shatter so easily.

Then I see your comments and this does confirm it.

I'm concerned about this also because cheap plastics age in sunlight fast. And I need something sturdy for my yard projects (of many kinds).

This means I may be getting buckets elsewhere.

I am amazed though...there are few tools that I can use for tons of stuff like I can the 5 gallon buckets.

I would think places that sell agricultural tools may have the sturdier ones still. But who knows how long it will be since there's a growing rot to cheat people in corporate circles.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Wow.

Its amazing that you brought this up. I was thinking just the same thing!

I use them for feeding ducks, rabbits, and other things not just bees.

And I noticed a couple years ago that it looked like the buckets being sold at Home Depot were a cheaper plastic and didn't look as solid as I thought they used to.

Years and years ago when you saw 5 gallon buckets the plastic had a dark thick sturdy look. It didn't have the shiny plastic look; and the shiny look is always cheap easy break plastic.

But I couldn't prove this other than, when knocking ice out of the top in the morning so animals could feed lately the newer ones would have the plastic bust open sometimes on this. My ego wants to say that's because of hurculean strength but that's not true.

One of the ways you can tell they are cheap plastic now is that when they are cold and you hit them with ice in they will literally shatter. But before they switched to this cheaper stuff they didn't shatter so easily.

Then I see your comments and this does confirm it.

I'm concerned about this also because cheap plastics age in sunlight fast. And I need something sturdy for my yard projects (of many kinds).

This means I may be getting buckets elsewhere.

I am amazed though...there are few tools that I can use for tons of stuff like I can the 5 gallon buckets.

I would think places that sell agricultural tools may have the sturdier ones still. But who knows how long it will be since there's a growing rot to cheat people in corporate circles.
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
180 Posts
You would have to mention sunlight. I had just made a pollen feeder out of a white plastic bucket. I thought I had thought of everything, however I did not consider uv rays. I will be making another one and painting it.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Just an FYI, don’t get food service buckets that have been used for pickles. That smell stays in the bucket a long time and can permeate your honey

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think JWPalmer hit on it when posting about the 90 mil bucket options. After his post, I did some googling and pretty sure this is what I am looking for. The standard buckets from box stores is 70 mil.

A few years ago, I remember a beekeeper telling me a story about a small crack that developed in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket that he failed to notice. He was storing in his house and there were pretty disastrous results. This year, after malleting on several lids for a batch, I had some honey leaking from the top of the buckets. When I pulled the lids off to check, I found 2 buckets that cracked at the top lip.

Looks like I can get these 90 mil buckets for just under $5 each. For me, the extra couple bucks per bucket is a good insurance policy.

Thank you all for your input.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been a baker for many decades, we trow away a lot of different food grade buckets all the time. Check also your local donut shop, buckets for icing, glaze, jam etc..

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
We have been using B-Way pails from Illing Corp in Germantown Wis. To get a good pail you most likely will need to buy a half a pallet to meet the minimum at a container dealer.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
582 Posts
I do fine with buckets from Walmart or Lowes. The lids only last 2-3 years though. I would never put them on or remove them with tools like a hammer though!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do fine with buckets from Walmart or Lowes. The lids only last 2-3 years though. I would never put them on or remove them with tools like a hammer though!
The lids I use have seals that require a lot of force. I have to tap them on with a mallet and use a lid opener to get them back off. The honey I harvest, when fully capped, usually varies between 17.5% and 18% water content. Additionally, I live in almost a tropical climate with very high humidity. Maybe overkill, but losing a couple thousand pounds of honey to fermentation would wipe me out. That is why I need a bucket that can take a beating and willing to pay a premium for it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I'd stay away from orange and blue buckets that are not made from food grade plastics. Get translucent-white food grade buckets with lids from a grocery store.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You might want to stop using a mallet and just pop them on by hand.I have been using Lowes brand for years and never had a problem.I think you may be cracking them with the mallet.Good luck in the future.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts