Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have already had one hernia surgery since becoming a beekeeper and I am now in need of another. I spend far more time and effort hauling 5 gallon buckets full of honey and sugar syrup than I actually do moving full supers. I am in search of an all-terrain 5 gallon bucket caddy that can move one or more 60 pound, 5 gallon buckets of honey across rough ground and throughout my home and work shop. Does anybody have any suggestions? Commercially made or DIY. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
How rough of ground? Up and down stairs?

I have used a hand truck to move 5 gallon buckets around. My biggest problem is up and down stairs. If it is really rough can you tie the bucket to the hand truck with a strap to keep it in place

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you have a Harbor Freight store near you, they sell a couple carts with "off road" tires. There's a 1000# capacity metal mesh wagon, a folding garden wagon and an Big Foot wagon (looks like an old Radio wagon with big tires). All three are under a $100 if it fits your budget.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I don't fill them to the 5-gallon level. However, even then they are very heavy. I have a cart that I pull behind my tractor and then a wooden platform with wheels when I transfer to other flat areas.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
psm1212 "Does anybody have any suggestions? " I fill through screens but only fill to about 40 lb., 2-5 gallon buckets per 20 frame extraction cycle. I'm still young enough to handle 40 lb. buckets but I only move them twice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have already had one hernia surgery since becoming a beekeeper and I am now in need of another. I spend far more time and effort hauling 5 gallon buckets full of honey and sugar syrup than I actually do moving full supers. I am in search of an all-terrain 5 gallon bucket caddy that can move one or more 60 pound, 5 gallon buckets of honey across rough ground and throughout my home and work shop. Does anybody have any suggestions? Commercially made or DIY. Thank you.
You could build a shoulder yoke for nothing.

https://www.lehmans.com/product/shoulder-yoke/

·
Registered
2020 8 hives
206 Posts
I second LarryBud, I bought a 2 wheeler from them 20+ years ago. It was called Big Foot and had 12" tires. I used it for my landscaping business moving big rocks and potted plants and whatever. Unfortunately they no longer offer that model. But you can buy an eight hundred pound 2 wheeler and buy 2- 12" tires and have the same thing. $62 for the 2 wheeler and $19.99 each for the bigger tires. Just over $100.

Strap them on if you are going up or down stairs or have bumpy ground and you are moving 2 like elmer-fud said.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I decided 2 years ago I had enough of lifting so I bought a hive lifter
I use it for lifting hives, putting on escape boards just about anything thats heavy. Lift capacity 350 lbs.
Even converted it to a hive scale. I have 6 yards so I'm using it all the time, lifting full hives and supers right on to the pickup or trailer a breeze. When feeding 5 gal bucket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQKpplSwS3A
DJI_0263.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
I, like you, hate lifting 5 gallon pails of anything. I get 2 gallon frosting tubs from a local grocery store. They give them to me. I always give them honey and they're happy to give me these tubs. Some are 2 gallons, some are 2-1/2, a few are 5-gallons. My suggestion is to just use smaller pails or don't fill the 5-gallon tubs. Any day I'll make more trips vs. lift heavy containers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
  • Find a large wheeled "two-wheeled dolly" and make sure the "toe" is large enough to hold a 5-gallon bucket.
  • Weld angle iron to the "toe" spaced to match your bucket width
  • For the lift, a multi-pulley system suspended from a frame will work nicely. You could us a small "ATV" electric winch to assist as well. A 3/4 pulley system will cut the lift to ~20 pounds on a full 5-gallon bucket and a 4' lift will have ~20' of rope/cable to wind up or hand pull.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts