Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you guys that feed more than a gallon or two of syrup at a time, how do you mix your sugar water? I've got to start feeding about 10 nucs and I want to feed them enough to get them to draw comb the rest of the summer or until my sugar budget runs out.

I will need close to 10 gallons of syrup to fill the feeders.

I've not fed much before, so little that I've never mixed over 1 gallon of sugar water.

Any advice on the easiest and least messy way to mix 5-10 gallons of syrup at a time?

Is there really a need to measure amounts or is estimation close enough?

I plan on using 1:1

I thought about using a 5 gal bucket and a paint mixer that goes in a drill, but then I'd need to put the syrup in a container I could pour with, or I could get a battery powered pump.

Just looking for ideas. Thanks

·
Registered
561 Posts
Remember the old saying A pints a pound the world around. I buy sugar in 10 lb or 20 lb bags when feeding. 20lb sugar mixed with 10qts of hot water will give you 4 gallons of 1 :1 syrup. I also add 1/2 teaspoon of bleach that says concentrate on the bottle if regular bleach 4/5 or 4ml per gal. The leach works very well to keep syrup from spoiling for a week or so. Information I got off Scientific beekeeping.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Brad, I just started doing 5 gallons at a time this year. After sorting through a tremendous amount of noise on the topic, I've settled on 3 gallons of water, and 25 lbs of sugar in a 5 gallon bucket. It's almost a full bucket of feed once mixed. I use hot water from the tub, and it dissolves very quickly. (1 Gallon of water = 8.3lbs. 3 Gallons of water = 24.9 lbs)

Here's the thread I found that got me going. The first decent answer is about 10 down:)

http://www.beesource.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-264542.html?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm with Brent. 25 pounds of sugar, 3 gallons of water equal 5 gallons of 1:1.
I buy sugar at Sams for $13 and use a long paint stick to stir. Hot water from tap is ok if the water heater is up high.
I don't mix it all at once, I add sugar as the water clears. I like sugar cane sugar best. Beet sugar is not as clear when mixed.
When I'm in a hurry I put that last 3/4 gallon in cold.
You can buy 5 gallon buckets a Lowes for less than $3. Paint stick is free at Sherman Williams.
I'm doing the same with nucs, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Same here 25# sugar and 3 gal hot water.On my bucket I got a plastic valve and installed it.Next year i will be moving to a 55 gal barrel and a 1/2" valve on it.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I do the 3 gallons of hot tap water mixed with 25 pounds of sugar. I use an battery operated drill with paint mixer. I'm also looking to upgrade to something bigger. I'm up to about 50 colonies, so it makes for a lot of mixing.

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
Try going to your swimming pool supply company. They (or at least mine did) have 15.5 gallon buckets that salt comes in for the pools. They sell them for $1 each and with a spout on the bottom are excellent for mixing small batches of syrup. They even have lids. I drilled a hole/slot in the lid and just set the drill with paint mixer attached through it and let it stir itself. Now, you do have to "brace" the drill to keep it from spinning on the lid, but I found a couple of milk jugs filled with water placed around the drill, braces it just fine.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I do the 3 gallons of hot tap water mixed with 25 pounds of sugar. I use an battery operated drill with paint mixer. I'm also looking to upgrade to something bigger. I'm up to about 50 colonies, so it makes for a lot of mixing.
I think I will try the trolling motor thing in a 55 gal barrel like Fat Bee Man suggested.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But is there an easy and non messy and non sticky way to transfer it from a barrel to a pourable container?

I'm thinking about buying a 25 gallon sprayer that I can put on the back rack of my 4 wheeler and just mixing sugar water in it. I haven't checked pump specs yet but if I can find one that will pump 2-3 gallons per minute that's what I'm going to get. I can take the sprayer nozzle off and stick a hose into the feeder and fill them quickly.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just finished making a 35 gal. feeder tank. I'll lift it with my front loader and gravity feed thru a 3/4in. hose with a ball valve shut off.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good idea Tom. I could do that and like be better off than with a pump.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts