Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year when we would move 5-frame nuc to 10 frame box we would put nuc frames in middle and add 2 frames foundation on one side and 3 frames on the other. I noticed the bees would move one direction fast but could take forever to go back to the other side.

This is a pic from photo page I saw that looks like mine.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237694

This spring I plan to put all new frames on one side and let them work across in one direction.

How do ya'll do this?

Johny

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Sometimes you need to manipulate them by putting the foundation where the bees want to draw it and not where you think they should. Did they draw away from the entrance for you or towards the entrance? If you do not have to many nucs to transfer- there is a good flow or you are feeding- pull a pollen and or honey frame from the nuc a place foundation frame right in the middle of the brood. Or place your 5 frames of foundation in a nuc box above the established nuc. Then when those are drawn transfer to a 10 frame box.

·
Registered
647 Posts
You could use a follower board and just add a frame or two at a time. With it you could also feed with a boardman feeder inside the hive

1 - 3 of 3 Posts