Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok a couple weeks ago I was worried about not seeing brood, now I'm worried about no room. Right now I can't afford to go out and buy another box and frames, but the nuc was bearding today and the frames were still covered when I opened the box. Lots of bees coming and going, all 5 frames were fully drawn out and full of either brood or honey (some of it was even capped). So here is my solution... I have some 6 5/8 frames and some 7" lumber. I built a mini-super and plan on putting it on top of the deep nuc tomorrow.

Will this buy me some time? I plan on expanding them next month when I can afford to buy more frames and boxes. Or am I just creating trouble?:s

I live directly across from soybean and cotton feilds that have recieved alot of rain lately.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that's kinda what I was thinking. These bees have been in the nuc for 2 weeks and 5 days, so I'm pretty happy with them. I can put together another mini-super if I need to, but I don't have wide enough lumber to put together a deep nuc box. :(

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
A lot of my five frame nuc's have "top boxes". I use them all the time. They can be used to overwinter and also to buy time, as you're doing. I usually make one top nuc box for every three nuc's I make.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I put the "mini-super" on this morning and the bees seemed to start exploring it really quickly. I will check them next week to see how they are doing in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts