Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much weight is safe for the hive stand. I currently have 5 deeps (3 for the honey) - but if full they could each weigh around 70 lbs. They are currently working on the 5th. Has anyone ever had issues with too much weight on the wood?

-Donnie

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I think much depends on the hive stands themselves. How they're constructed and of what material. I build my stands and they sit on 4X4 legs with 1X6 rims. They are built to hold 1 or 2 hives depending on the length I make them. I never worry about the weight. They're built to hold a lot. In fact, I find myself having to shim the legs after a wet spring because the weight pushes them into the ground. If yours have similar characteristics regarding material strength, I wouldn't worry about it. Sturdy construction, square assemble and level installation makes for no worries.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Donnie you must be a strong man. I tried to move a deep that was mostly honey one time, and immediately decided to go the 8-frame all medium route. I haven't gone 8 frame yet, but am starting to work mediums in.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Donnie the Barbarian:D:D or Donnie the Destroyer
My friend and I have them 6 high. He hurt his back. I got 5 and 6 off but putting them back:doh: Man! My are more like 90 ibs,,,wall to wall honey.
Fazing in the mediums. Anyway,,,,Deeps full of honey are 90 lbs more or less,,,Brood will be something less but can still weigh 50 lbs easy. So,,,will your stand hold 350 to 400 lbs,,,,that might even be conservative:scratch:
Just my best guess

Rick SoMd

·
Registered
459 Posts
I know my hive stands would hold 370 pounds because I jumped up and down on them right after I built them(I've since lost 80+ pounds) but I guess the more important question is why would you leave 3 deeps of honey on the hive? Wouldnt it be better to pull them and spin them out so the bees can clean them up and start over again?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good point - they have been building new frames out very quickly, I want to make sure they stay busy. So I gave them fresh frames. I'm hoping to spin them out this next week. Thanks for the input!:)

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
but I guess the more important question is why would you leave 3 deeps of honey on the hive? Wouldnt it be better to pull them and spin them out so the bees can clean them up and start over again?

3 deeps is only 5 mediums for supering...a good hive in a good flow could be using all 3 boxes, and wishing they had more.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm soooo jealous I put five mediums with permacomb and took off only two supers.First time in four years.You have a great honey flow.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Now just how in the world do you pull a 70 lb deep, from 5 high....without smashin' a bunch of bees?

I am new to all of this, and everything says take it easy and be gentle. How can a guy be gentle with that? Honestly, I would be doin' good just to get the thing off the top!

Rob

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I've seen some photos in older bee books where the hives were 8 and 9 deeps tall. Just for kicks and grinnies I let my boomer hive keep going, and I added supers until they stopped using them. Needed a step ladder to work the hive. It was fun, for a one time experiment. Then the #@$&* twits turned two supers of honey into bees... oh well, such is life.

But it would be fun to add a photo to your album of a hive 9 deeps tall, you on a ladder working it. Something to show your grandkids. :D But on a regular basis? My back hurts just thinking about it.
Regards,
Steven

1 - 11 of 11 Posts