Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
How many story’s high? Is the starting point. If you plan on being back soon one if it is a small cluster. If three story high it gets trickier. May need a double.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
When we transfer strong overwintered nucs into 10 frame equipment, we overdo it. A medium of comb on the bottom board, then a deep with the 8 frames +1, and then another deep with 6 combs and 4 foundations. This when the dandelion flow is on. My standard broodnest is 2 deeps and a medium. Because they buildup so fast, they’ll need a couple supers soon after.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When we transfer strong overwintered nucs into 10 frame equipment, we overdo it. A medium of comb on the bottom board, then a deep with the 8 frames +1, and then another deep with 6 combs and 4 foundations. This when the dandelion flow is on. My standard broodnest is 2 deeps and a medium. Because they buildup so fast, they’ll need a couple supers soon after.
Michael can you please clarify how many frames form nuc you transferring and where you place them in 10 frames equipment. Thank you

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just checked a couple 4x4x4 and they are booming. Trying to figure how I want to transfer them. I'm wondering why Michael puts a box of empty comb on the bottom. I thought standard procedure was to pull all empty frames from underneath in the spring and put them above the broodnest

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Been overseas.

My nucs are 8 or 12 combs. Usually 5-7 combs brood. Medium of dark comb on bottom. Split brood between first deep and second. Combs honey next to brood and fill deeps with comb.

Reason...these colonies build up too fast to just add a little at a time. Also, I have too many colonies to micromanage every one. Medium on bottom gives extra clustering space below cluster...helps with swarm pressure

1 - 7 of 7 Posts