Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did my 4th week inspection today. all looked well except i was hoping more frames would be drawn out. There are about 4 frames that are not touched. The rest of the frames are drawn out and pretty well full of eggs, larvae, pollen, and honey....very pretty. i even saw some drone cells today. Bees seen very busy. I guess I will just wait a week and check them again unless i hear otherwise on here.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
The rest of the frames are drawn out and pretty well full of eggs, larvae, pollen, and honey....very pretty. i even saw some drone cells today. Bees seen very busy. I guess I will just wait a week and check them again unless i hear otherwise on here.
Sounds great! What a good feeling.
But why check again in just another week? Now that you know the queen is laying and they are building comb and storing food, I'd just 'let them bee' for at least 2 weeks unless you suspect a problem. :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you dont think that after the brood hatches and since they are out of laying room that they will have the other frames drawn out by next week and be ready for another deep brood box. my concern is with no more drawn frames where is the queen going to lay now? The population of bees should really explode by next week i figure since there has been capped brood for some time. Also would you stagger the undrawn frames between frames of brood or just leave them alone?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Assuming frames 1 & 2, and 9 & 10 are empty, I might swap frames 2 & 9 in towards the middle one frame. Once they get drawn, do the same with 1 and 10. Sometimes you'll need to flip them too to get them to draw both sides of the frame. But, if you just leave the frames where they are, they will probably draw the best part of those frames by themselves when they feel they need the space.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no problem...its was more like 7 8 9 and 10 werent drawn but yea i get the point. I will mess with it next week.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Keep feed on them. For the first time ever I have a hive that is all new foundation. Actually it is my daughters hive for a 4-H project. I wanted her to start from scratch with everything new even though I have piles of used equipment. The 3 lb package was installed 5 weeks ago. We checked it today and they had gone through their 2nd 2 gal pail of syrup so we gave them the 3rd and did some frame manipulations. They have 12 frames fully drawn and 3 more started on both sides. If the weather was better I wouldn't have gave them the 3rd pail. They have had the 2nd 10 frame deep on for 11 days.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
It could also be that the population is still too low right now for them to cover any additional frames of brood. If they expand the brood area too fast and there aren't enough workers to cover it, they would be stretched too thin to protect and heat the larvae.

Be careful on the timing of adding frames of foundation between drawn frames. Make sure there are enough bees to fill in that void or you could end up with chilled brood. If you see a fair amount of capped brood they should be ready for expansion soon.

·
Registered
86 Posts
no problem...its was more like 7 8 9 and 10 werent drawn but yea i get the point. I will mess with it next week.
Then I would move 9 & 10 to the 1 & 2 spot and then make the manipulation above. But as Mike Gillmore said, there probably won't be much of a change until after you have enough emerging brood to help cover the empty frames (21 days or so after you released the queen). Or, just wait and they'll figure it out on their own when they're ready (choose your management style).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea just figured by the end of the 4th week they would have had more frames fully drawn. Oh well taking into account that maybe the queen took a week to get released from her cage and maybe a few days to start laying or more since some comb had to be drawn maybe they are right on time. Im just judging by my book that said by week for they should be ready for another brood box. Of course i understand some are faster and some are slower but figured with the honey b healthy added they would work a little faster. Ill probably just wait and leave them alone for a week or two

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ha ha ha thats funny...i know when im beat!! LOL
Seriously i opened the hive today not that i really wanted to but the wife really wanted to see what a hive looked like on the inside and I figured i would show her and jump some frames around in the process. Well i opened it up and almost every frame was covered with bees and they were drawing out on all the frames. it looked like a daylight and dark difference in what i saw earlier that week. I only moved two frames and that was just one positon. So my question is...is it possible that some new bees emerged from the capped brood and I had a population increase over the past few days? Really seems like it but its possible im crazy too!! that makes 7 frames drawn so by mid week i plan on adding my other brood box. thanks guys

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
..is it possible that some new bees emerged from the capped brood and I had a population increase over the past few days?
That would be my guess, the timing is right. The emerging bees will have a fuzzy look to them and will not be leaving the hive for a while as they fall into their roles as nurse bees and comb building. You will probably see the population really surge over the next few weeks. Sounds like all is well. :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts