Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to purchase a 40 year old Dadant 12 frame extractor. Has the basic design of the extractor had any significant improvements over the years? Better motor? Newer bearings? The newest model looks like it has welded on legs and a new reel, but at the end of the day its still just a specialized centrifuge. Assuming everything in good condition and working order, does anyone want to hazard a guess what something like that might be worth?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
1) Make sure it is stainless, rather than zinc and soldered. Zinc and soldered must be coated with "CamCote" epoxy to be food safe.
2) Older extractors used a leather slip clutch on an idler wheel for speed control, you will see a giant butterfly nut on the idler wheel. Newer extractor have a digital speed control and a permanent magnet motor. I enough of an old coot, that I prefer the leather slip clutch. The older motor is a basic "washing machine" motor.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,531 Posts
Since a brand new one is around $1600, I would guess $.20 to $.30 on the dollar, or somewhere in the neighborhood of $400 depending on condition and materials. Keep in mind, what it is worth in good working condition and what I would be willing to pay for it are not the same number. If I could not get it for around $250, I would walk away. Just my thoughts and I like to consider myself somewhat frugal.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I believe the slip setup is Not used on the Maxant mentioned. Typically there is a large platter on the top of the extractor, and a horizontal shaft with a tire that is moved from the outer portion (slow) to the inner portion(fast). A similar drive is sometimes used on snowblowers and lawnmowers.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Is that Dadant a tangential extractor? If so, I would recommend putting that money into a radial machine.

Alex

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alex, it's a good thought, but thankfully this one is 12 frames radial.

Maybe an obvious answer to this one, but is the difference between galvanized and stainless always obvious on visual, or is there some other feature that I need to be aware of? Or in other words, is galvanized always more dull in appearance, and stainless always more polished? Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts