Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a couple of questions...

Im picking up 2 hives here this morning.

1. When i get them over here to the farm how long should i let them sit before i check on them?

2. Feed syrup / pollen supplement inside or outside the hive?

3. What product do i add to my beetle barns or shound i scrap those and go with the oil traps? I have screens on the bottom of the hives but im not sure how they are configured.

4. How come people are worried about angry hives on YouTube when they are doing inspections when they are wearing a bee suit? Or am i about to lean this one hard knocks? LoL:D

·
Registered
308 Posts
Got a couple of questions...

I'm not an expert by a long shot and may be all wrong, but this is my two cents.

Im picking up 2 hives here this morning.
What kind of "hives"? NUCs? 8 Frame/10 Frame boxes? Deeps? Mediums? How many boxes per hive?

1. When i get them over here to the farm how long should i let them sit before i check on them?
If I move a hive, I leave them alone for at least a couple days, but if they're an established colony moved complete with their boxes and frames, it won't bother them much to take a look.

2. Feed syrup / pollen supplement inside or outside the hive?
Depending on your local conditions and the stores they already have, they may not need any supplemental feeding. But any feeding I do later in the summer, I do internally, and nothing attractively scented or oiled to try to avoid robbing. Have robbing screens ready to go. Be careful with pollen sub, it's VERY attractive to small hive beetles. I don't use it after early spring. If I felt it was necessary, I would place a very small amount, no more than they can consume in less than a week.

3. What product do i add to my beetle barns or shound i scrap those and go with the oil traps? I have screens on the bottom of the hives but im not sure how they are configured.
I'm about ready to scrap beetle traps. I catch some using oil in the traps, and using swiffer sheets on the frames, but I honestly don't think it matters.

4. How come people are worried about angry hives on YouTube when they are doing inspections when they are wearing a bee suit? Or am i about to lean this one hard knocks? LoL:D
It is very distracting and hard to inspect if my veil is covered with buzzing angry bees trying to kill me. When they get this fired up, a couple always find a gap and get inside my veil. (I don't have a suit).

Adding to #3 above concerning SHB traps: It's more important to keep the hive sized right for the bee population, making sure they don't have more area than they can guard. The bees can generally take care of the beetles if I don't give the beetles a foothold.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have the same “angry bee” question Lincoln. I wear a suit and have nice bees. I guess if you have bees that follow you, like a wasp would, it would be ugly since they will follow you and you can’t unsuit safely. Been messing with my bees 2 months and no stings yet. I am envious of suitless beeks.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
If you do not a full suit I would at least recommend a veil. Supposedly some people have gotten stung on eyes or other places on the face and had major medical problems from this.

In Texas you have the potential for Africanized strains which can be a lot meaner. Keep an eye on your queens (to know if you lost them) and the temperament with your hives.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Looking good! Seems you're off to a good start. Pollen collecting is a good sign that they're settling in to stay.
I suggest you turn your entrance reducer over, notch facing down. It makes it easier for the bees to get in and out, easier for them to haul out trash and dead bees, and allows moisture to readily drain out if any get inside.
You may also find that your stand is too tall for comfort once your hives build up to a full brood nest and honey supers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts