Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a medium hive body with foundation enough room for a 3lb package?

Should i start them in two mediums?

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Have the second medium ready to add though. They may build up in the first quicker than you think.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's a great question because I'm going to be hiving this afternoon into mediums. I was planning on using two mediums to start. What are the pro/cons of starting with one versus two?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Pro's of starting a package in two medium supers: I can't think of any.

Con's of starting a package in two medium supers:
1) Too much space to start; even one is more than enough starting space
2) The extra space goes undefended against wax moth and SHB.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I started my 3# package in an 8 frame medium, on 5.1 mm dadant foundation. They are Italian's. 6 days later they swarmed. Comb was drawn on about half of 5 frames. They landed in a pile on the ground in tall grass in the field. I tried picking them up etc... finally I smoked them and the queen came walking up a blade of grass. Let her walk onto my hand, and stuck her in a second "new" 8 frame medium, and they all followed her home. Seems to be doing well 5 days later.

First post here, Just my experience. :D

-Chris

·
Registered
507 Posts
If my new nucs "abscond", I'm going to die. I doubt if I would be Lucky enough to be there when they land somewhere. My stars, I hope my new bees don't do that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It was something I havent experienced and wasnt expecting. It went on for about an hour before I fooled with them. Luckily I had another medium ready, and I know my wife was wanting it out of the kitchen anyways.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Most of the feral bees around here behave as if they are AHB. Every swarm I've tried to hive in the past eight to ten years, abscond almost immediately after I get them into the hive. A few years ago, before I began importing queen stock from elsewhere, then raising my own queens from those mother queens; would behave similarly. A good example is when I attempted a split; I took half of the bees, brood, pollen, and honey and placed them in their own location, the next morning they had absconded, leaving the brood (lots of it open) and pollen, but taking the honey with them. They had not returned to their parent colony, but were gone to parts unknown. What motivates them to do this? I can only guess that they have their reasons for obsconding, but other than something that would be obvious to us, like unhabitable conditions in the new location/hive, it is difficult to know what the bee's reasons are.

·
Registered
22 Posts
After doing some more light reading, I dont think that is what it is. This hive is Italian, from a well known local breeder. No AFB even recorded in this state. And not all the bees left, 1/2 to 3/4 was still inside working, and some were still coming and going. I really feel as if they felt the hive was two small, and swarmed to find a new one. Everything I could really come up with on them absconding was the all leave. I'm just not really sure what happened to be honest. That was totaly new to me. I was planting fruit trees when I saw it, and since (from what I gather) when abscounding they dont carry supplies with them. Well, I opened the hive scooped them off the ground with my hand, smoked them, checked the frames etc.. with only shorts on. No shirt, no veil, no shoes etc.. They were as gentle as could be. Hell even my dog was sniffing the cluster on the ground with no problems. (he's a ukc bluetick, has to sniff everything) I really feel like it was some sort of premature swarm?

-Chris

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Your bees are on 100% foundation so keep them in the single MDS and feed them all the 2:1 sugar syrup that they can consume. They have a lot of work to do drwaing out all those frames and building up their population.
Good luck,
Ernie

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Also, since you are starting them on foundation, a queen excluder in between the hive body and the bottom board will help keep them from absconding. Just make sure to pull it out once they get established.
FEEEED them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I intended to start this hive that way, for some reason, it didnt work. They were barely building on the frames,

Today they are all in the second medium and actually spread out and building all the way across the frames. Ill just let them get close to filling this one out, and swap them. All seems well though.

This was deff something I wasnt expecting. Learn something every day.

-Chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts