Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have two hives in question both have 3 supers on them . For the longest time the brood / honey and pollen was in the bottom two boxes and the third had mostly honey with some brood and pollen.

But today when doing an inspection the bottom one was mixed, I think most of the brood hatched. the next had a lot of brood caped and honey and the third was the same. After rambling on my point is looks like the bottom super is not getting much activity and the top two are doing good. Is this normal? Should I do something? What? or should I just leave it alone and stop worrying?

I think this forum needs a bee psychiatrist for us rookie beekeepers. :lpf:

Brooklyn

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
You did not have strong enough honeyflows to keep the broodnest pushed down into the bottom box as you added supers. It will take a few years to learn the nectar flows in your area for the timing of when and how many supers to add to a hive.

For now it's up to you, just leaving them as they are should be ok. If you get some fall flows, they will push down the broodnest area. If you get a really strong flow, they could possibly swarm, it happens at times in some areas in the early fall, instead of pushing down, but not often. It's all going to depend on the rest of the season nectar flows and weather.

·
Registered
702 Posts
That's pretty normal for them to go up....that's why I put a queen exluder on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts