Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My New Zeeland bee package is arriving in a few days to Zone 3a, (53 degrees North).
From my understanding these New Zeeland Queens are not the best for this Northern Latitude. Too have a better chance
of wintering in my locality I have also purchased a Saskatraz Queen that will eventually be my wintering Queens.

My question is: What are my chances of success if I place the package into 2 Nucs that have only a Queen excluder between
them with a Queen in each Nuc box. I’m hoping by some time in June I can pinch the N. Z. queen and split into two hives.
Yes, I know now I should have waited and requeend later in June, rookie mistake.

I have drawn comb and some comb honey for a head start, but still a Newbeek, thanks in advance.

AVP

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
You can put them in two separate nucs and push together with a queen excluder on top with a super on top, but not together in the same box with just an excluder separating them. It’s all about the queen pheromones. Maybe Mike P will chime in here if he sees this post. If you haven’t started a honey bee library start with The Hive and the Honeybee, newest edition, or look at Randy Oliver’s site Scientific Beekeeping. Deb

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that idea Cloverdale! Sometimes the easiest solutions are starring right at you, but you don't see them.
I could also use the super above the Nucs to feed syrup and patties?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts