Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve noticed that one of my 3 hives has an unusually large number of bees above the top cover. I’ve fed them all sugar cakes and last weekend put a bit of pollen patty on just to top them up. That said, hive 1 and 2 are behaving the same, smallish lump of bees above the porter hole on the patty, all the sugar is gone. Hive 3 sugar is also gone, bees on the pollen but the top cover is covered in bees and they’re kinda noisy. Looks like it may be a decent day here tomorrow around 10C so I’m going to pop in for a bit. Don’t really like to open them up in January but I think it may be worth a quick look.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I assume by "top cover" you mean the inner cover. That's where I feed (empty box on the inner cover) and they come there to eat, drink beer, and shoot pool when they break the cluster. When I open the top to check feed they really howl and females in party mode can be mean.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I would lift the hive tomorrow, and try to estimate its weight. If they are much bigger they may have eaten thru thier stores and need more sugar than the other hives. I have seen winter store consumption vary a lot depending on the size of the hive going into winter.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I’ve noticed that one of my 3 hives has an unusually large number of bees above the top cover. I’ve fed them all sugar cakes and last weekend put a bit of pollen patty on just to top them up. That said, hive 1 and 2 are behaving the same, smallish lump of bees above the porter hole on the patty, all the sugar is gone. Hive 3 sugar is also gone, bees on the pollen but the top cover is covered in bees and they’re kinda noisy. Looks like it may be a decent day here tomorrow around 10C so I’m going to pop in for a bit. Don’t really like to open them up in January but I think it may be worth a quick look.
That is not unusual and it doesn't mean they are out of food (try to lift the hive to make sure). It is the warmest place for them to be so naturally they will try to have a break there and if there is food, why not to snack at the same time... They are noisy when you are inspecting, they see the light and get agitated. Some of my hives behave the same way, others (the heavily insulated ones) don't rush up top yet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It is too early to give pollen to bees in Canada.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was left over, basically about a 2 tablespoon size square for each hive, not a big pattie. Doubt it's going to matter...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts