Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone im new here and im facing big problems with my beehives... today i got information that is not only me having this problem but is happening all over my country (Macedonia) and other country's from Balkan region. At the start of the winter i had about 60 healthy hives. Now im just left with 10 and they also don't seem to do good. I don't know if its a disease or something like that. We have beehives 3 generations not even my father or grandfather experienced this... So this is the situation. i go to check on my hives on 2 weeks. The hives have honey in them also have the winter food i put as extra. Also they have been treated against ticks/beetles. I do this method same every year and had no problems. Now all food is in the hives and the bees just have disappeared. Anyone experienced something like this so can share experience and tips how to save the remaining ones.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Can you show us pictures of the dead hive combs, please take close up photographs.

More photos is better.

As the saying goes, A picture is worth a thousand words.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I don't know the right translation for its but we call it here varoa. I don't have photos of my hives because it was raining i was disappointed and left. But i do have some photos i found on local fb group from people that had same problems. Noone can find any solution... We do have some treatments for varoa which is (little wooden sticks that are dipped in somekind of fluid) again there may be English term for it i just described it. There was not a single bee left in the hives to take a photo of..

Attachments

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
I would guess 3 possibilities. Varroa, Nosema Cerana, or poison. Nosema Cerana is a growing problem in my country, it reduces honey crops, and can kill hives completely.

If varroa, could they be developing immunity to your treatment type?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would guess 3 possibilities. Varroa, Nosema Cerana, or poison. Nosema Cerana is a growing problem in my country, it reduces honey crops, and can kill hives completely.

If varroa, could they be developing immunity to your treatment type?
"Nosema Cerana" i am not much familiar with this term but i will look into it. Poison i don't think it is because is happening to many people and very far apart different city's. So i would not assume is poison. For varroa i used strips in the hives but this year i couldn't find the ones i usually buy so i bought another brand. It could be this that this other brand strips are not as effective or the bees have developed immunity as you have said. There is handfull of beekeeping shops in my country and they are all supplied by this new brand of strips. I cant find old ones anywhere. What should i do? I also heard that some have been trying spraying them with 3% hydrogen mixed with water.. Spray them a little like you would use to smoke them. Anyone else had experience with this method or can suggest anything else?

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,379 Posts
Darko,
First sorry for the loss.
I have a question, Did any of the bee keepers in your area "not have loss" What did they do?
Or is everyone using the "new strips" I would tend to agree with old timer, and offer the time left this winter could be used to look around for some one who did not loose more than 25% and see what they did.

with this type issue I would ask my self what did I do different, YOU state the strips were different, so that is one difference, are there others?

look at OA treatment threads
Keep and clean the combs if you do not think it was not poison.
hopefully you have some hives left to rebuild from.

GG

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Hmmm. I agree with @Oldtimer, the mites may be developing resistance.

"wood sticks" dipped in chemical.

What is the name of the chemical you have been using?

You should be able to find out the name of the chemical, as they are internationally consistent.

Oxalic acid, as the above poster mentioned is a good alternative to whichever chemical you were using.

·
Registered
71 Posts
As Gray Goose mentioned look into OA treatments , Oxalic Acid sublimation , Oxalic Acid soaked extended release strips, or even Formic Acid which is more dangerous and harder on bees than OA. Im sure these are available to you.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
What is the name of the chemical you have been using?
Sorry to hear, darko1234

Well, per my observations, in the Easter Euro (Macedonia included I guess), they often just use "whatever" without much understanding or paying attention what the real chem is.
Oftentimes, these are some cryptic Chinese strips that just "work" (until they don't).
That is what boils down to "little wooden sticks that are dipped in some kind of fluid ".

Just saying what I routinely see - no particular system is followed.
Lots of youtubers that I watch from those areas just freely toss about some strips they picked up somewhere (just in passing).

Of course, all too often this what happens eventually - massive collapse seemingly coming from nowhere.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think Darko's main concern is what to do with the remaining hives that they would not succumb to the same fate. I don't know how is the climate over there, but would it be possible to do a mite count at this time of year? At least you would know that mites is the problem and then perhaps apply different treatment ASAP. It might be too late of course, but worth a try... If it is not mites, then have to look for other symptoms. Perhaps you could post close up photos of the dead hive combs?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes I don't know the right translation for its but we call it here varoa. I don't have photos of my hives because it was raining i was disappointed and left. But i do have some photos i found on local fb group from people that had same problems. Noone can find any solution... We do have some treatments for varoa which is (little wooden sticks that are dipped in somekind of fluid) again there may be English term for it i just described it. There was not a single bee left in the hives to take a photo of.. View attachment 61644
varroa mites is my guess.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
I'd still like the OP to tell us what "chemicals" they were putting in the hives.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
I'd still like the OP to tell us what "chemicals" they were putting in the hives.
I don't think you will hear the answer, like I said.
Most often they don't even know what exactly they use.
Could be wrong. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello everyone im new here and im facing big problems with my beehives... today i got information that is not only me having this problem but is happening all over my country (Macedonia) and other country's from Balkan region. At the start of the winter i had about 60 healthy hives. Now im just left with 10 and they also don't seem to do good.
Sounds like cheap Chinese treatments. I've seen them in the past on eBay and other places. If that's the case then who knows what chemicals are being used.

I have a friend that is from your part of the world and he said he and his family used BEEVITAL's HIVE CLEAN liquid that is now called VarroMed and produced in Austria. The ingredients are: water, saccharouse (sucrose), citric acid, oxalic acid, formic acid, propolis extract, div. essential oils. Treatment for a single brood box is 15ml. of the liquid.
See this page for your area; Countries — BeeVital

My friend gave me a couple 15ml sachets to try and save one of my first hives because I was seeing varroa and being new to beekeeping, had no clue what to do or what to use. My first dribble application had a 24hr drop of 360+ mites. At that time (7 years ago) I was able to get a bottle of HiveClean from a seller on eBay and complete the required 3 treatments. And 7 years later that hive is still alive and well. If I could legaly buy it, it would be my year around treatment.

No idea if the product (VarroMed) is the same as (HIVECLEAN) but as far as I know, it's the only option as a true organic treatment in the EU. I hope you can buy it in Macedonia and have the great success I had with it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
DARKO... I just have to believe that varroa is your problem. Generations ago we did not have them in the U.S. either and beekeeping was completely different. Today Varroa are a vector for virus infections that can easily spread to apiaries far and wide. Deformed Wing Virus is one of the most obvious. Varroa hide between the scales on the underside of the bee and feed off the bee fat bodies so the are extremely hard to "see". I would suggest that you get some scientist/biologist involved to test some collected freshly dead/dying bees so it can be determined the actual cause of the colony deaths. In the mean time if Oxalic Acid is legal in Macedonia I would treat the living hives every 6 - 7 days for a month and use sticky boards under the bottoms after 48 hours to catch the dead mite drop and count the mites. Continue treatments until the mite count is low or zero. Clean and re-insert sticky boards after each treatment. If you see bees in the hive with shriveled wings that is deformed wing virus and mites are present in large numbers. co cpek'a

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts