Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does making 3 frame Nucs with just queen cells sound to you? The bees would be near Sacramento, CA. Lots of stuff blooming here but also lots of bees nearby. It would be 3 frames of brood and I would be feeding them syrup and some pollen sub as soon as the queen started laying.

Does it sound too risky? Would it be a very significant difference if I bought virgin or laying queens instead?

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Sounds like good beekeeping to me as long as there are ample drones in the area and you keep plenty of feed in front of them.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Just got finished making up a ton of two frames of brood with two frames of honey nucs, one thing to watch for is feeding small nucs, they can be prone to robbing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
A sideliner in our club does three frame nucs with his own grafted queen cells.

He'll do 10 to 20 at our club field day just for hands-on educational demonstrations.

Depends on how many cells members are buying.

It's always one frame of brood (mostly capped) with some honey & pollen, one frame mostly capped honey-both with covering bees, and one empty drawn frame.

If he thinks they're light on bees he might gently shake one frame of bees before closing up and later moving them to one of his outyards.

He doesn't feed any of these.

He has had good success for years doing it this way.

He replaces all his winter die off, does any increases needed for new pollination contracts and honey sales.

I don't think he sells any honey by the barrel from 3-500 hives.

One wife, two sons. Farms hundreds of acres, pigs now sheep, a few chickens and regular carpentry & roofing jobs.

He is the hardest working guy I know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts