Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
55 degrees outside and 4 of my hives continue to hangout outside. Already have 3 deeps with not a lot of weight so winter stores are low. Why are they hanging outside even at night?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Have had no bearding here in weeks when it was very hot. Its nice and cool today and mine are bearding too. I stopped trying to figure it out and put it down to they are enjoying the day. That and perhaps orientation flights resting and enjoying the outdoors. J

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
well I assume you aren't going to pull any honey, put the sugar water to them so they gain weight, and the queen has less room to lay.

·
Registered
zone 3 240 colonies
292 Posts
I think they will hang on the outside during a flow, possibly to help the colony dry down the honey. Is there a flow on?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No plan to pull any honey. Flow is coming to an end. Throwing sugar syrup on today. Thanks for the comments guys..

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Get busy feeding 2:1 syrup after consolidating heavy frames in two boxes with empty on the bottom of the stack. Oh I just saw your location. Reduce stack to two boxes and get busy feeding. Those bees hanging out are like your finger nails too long and eventually getting trimmed. They are not needed and will soon be dead no matter what you do.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Get busy feeding 2:1 syrup....,Reduce stack to two boxes and get busy feeding. Those bees hanging out are like your finger nails too long and eventually getting trimmed. They are not needed and will soon be dead no matter what you do.
If one reduces the stack to two boxes, wouldn't there be more bees hanging out? & no where to put feed:scratch:

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm thinking that they are doing this due to high humidity. 7am this morning and I'm setting up to vap and I had bearding.
I've got the same thing this morning, just starting to get light-before 6 am and 73 F and 80% humidity. Big flow just starting and as it got light, foragers (maybe inside or in the beard) are already flying. By sunrise, most were gone. 2 deeps, 3 supers on, top super just put on with recently extracted comb. Bee Honeybee Insect Membrane-winged insect Beehive

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I expect some bearding this time of year, with Summer bees dying off and defender bees clogging up the entrance, but the size of bearding that my one hive has seems excessive. When I open the top, the bees pour out. That is one hell of a queen. If I was a good beekeeper, I would pull frames of brood from that hive and give to my other hives....but, I'm lazy and busy, so I guess I'll just remove a deep and feed....

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
If one reduces the stack to two boxes, wouldn't there be more bees hanging out? & no where to put feed:scratch:
The bees hanging out are surplus and will die soon no matter what you do. Where the person is located is a region where two deep hive bodies are the most room his bees could possibly need for winter.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,376 Posts
The bees hanging out are surplus and will die soon no matter what you do. Where the person is located is a region where two deep hive bodies are the most room his bees could possibly need for winter.
So what if you remove a deep ,, then the bees swarm cuz they are crowded, and the new queen does not get mated, as it may be too late......:scratch:

at this point I would leave the 3 deeps, so there now you can do either and blame it on the "advice" given on BS.

with that many bees on the outside , taking a 1/3 of the hive away does not seem logical, as a first choice.

GG

·
Registered
444 Posts
Without a flow of some type this late in the season swarming is unlikely. Possible, but unlikely. Yeah, way to late to expect a queen to mate in Michigan (or Oregon), but commercial queens are still available as far as I know....probably not for long though.

As already stated; Summer bees are dying off right now, making room for winter bees and honey stores. Feed 'inside' hive those that are light if no flow is available. Most of the bees 'seen' right now, foraging right now, will in fact be dead before Halloween. It's just the way it is for the honeybee colony.

Has a 'drone' check been made? Our colonies began kicking them out in earnest about 2 weeks ago....and many that are not carried away will just hang out waiting for their chance to re-enter......sneaky little dudes. ;)

"Bees make better beekeepers than beekeepers make bees"

·
Registered
56 Posts
So what if you remove a deep ,, then the bees swarm cuz they are crowded, and the new queen does not get mated, as it may be too late......:scratch:

at this point I would leave the 3 deeps, so there now you can do either and blame it on the "advice" given on BS.

with that many bees on the outside , taking a 1/3 of the hive away does not seem logical, as a first choice.

GG
I'm with you GG. I don't have to worry about overwintering my bees, but it would seem more reasonable to me that the bees end up wintering in the middle box, no? And as you stated, you should be able to still feed heavy without driving the queen to swarm from lack of space.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I'm with you GG. I don't have to worry about overwintering my bees, but it would seem more reasonable to me that the bees end up wintering in the middle box, no? And as you stated, you should be able to still feed heavy without driving the queen to swarm from lack of space.
Newbeezer, I just had one of my Mentees hives swarm, 9 days after he took 3 or so supers of honey.

He will have a queen mating while the hive next to this one is dragging out drones. Just the timing and the crowding, this late can have funny outcomes, this was a NUC from south of us Ohio I think.
As well for me I prefer comb on the hive VRS in the garage. Seems the extra space under the cluster can be used to help keep cool breezes off the cluster. I have just added an empty wet extracted medium under several of my bigger hives, in the past this extra space did seem to help.

Always more than one way to skin the proverbial Cat.

GG

·
Registered
56 Posts
Gray Goose; Always more than one way to skin the proverbial Cat. GG[/QUOTE said:
Took 3 but did he put empties on after he took the 3? Or was that his end of year pull? That stinks! will the hive have the time to recover? And a wet medium UNDER the hive? Wind break and a little food to boot? I'll assume you pull that off in the spring? Are you double deep or single with a medium under?
My area is just starting the fall swarm season. Main reason is keepers don't realize the bees can fill a super in less than a week if everything is normal. And nothings been "normal" for almost 3 years. Trees are blooming out of season and multiple times a year or some not at all or for a blink of time in comparison

I'm considered a Yankee since I'm a double deep (8 frame) and double to triple supers. I just tell them in reality, I'm just lazy and setting myself up for spring walkaway splits.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Took 3 but did he put empties on after he took the 3? Or was that his end of year pull? That stinks! will the hive have the time to recover? And a wet medium UNDER the hive? Wind break and a little food to boot? I'll assume you pull that off in the spring? Are you double deep or single with a medium under?
My area is just starting the fall swarm season. Main reason is keepers don't realize the bees can fill a super in less than a week if everything is normal. And nothings been "normal" for almost 3 years. Trees are blooming out of season and multiple times a year or some not at all or for a blink of time in comparison

I'm considered a Yankee since I'm a double deep (8 frame) and double to triple supers. I just tell them in reality, I'm just lazy and setting myself up for spring walkaway splits.
He pulled end of the year, meant to put the empty back but schedule and weather prevented it for a week or so, cells must have been started.

In the spring the bees are up toward the top so yes the bottom "box" can be removed, sometimes it is full of bees.
I have 3 or 4 boxes, the norm is Medium, deep medium, all the way to deep,deep,deep, with a couple that are at 4 or 5 boxes, these "biggie" size hive are predestined to be split 3 to 6 ways in the spring.

Yes at this max population time,, the bees can do a super in a week.

Yankee, ? , did not know that was a bee keeping Double deep handle. I guess then I would be a north woods boy which is a 3 deep place in the bush.

if given time the bees pack the first box with pollen and use it for cluster space. the second is brood nest and some stores, the 3rd all honey, maybe a we bit of brood nest space.

IMO do what works, best in your locale.

GG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts