Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
This looks very interesting. Maybe a fabric type curtain can be affixed using velcro to shield bright light but can still be easily detached. Being in New England I'm not sure how well the acrylic will hold heat during the winter but maybe some type of insulation could be attached to help retain heat.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
If I was doing this I'd make it the "back" which would usually be the shady end.

If you have the window at the front you will be blocking the flight of the bees and you will have the sun's glare when you want to watch the bees.

I'm guessing that if it was left uncovered, on the southern side, that you could observe the melting of the comb.

Maybe a fabric type curtain can be affixed
mini-blinds? :D

·
Registered
342 Posts
Please keep us posted on how this goes. I would think they'd make a mess of it in very short order, but it is interesting and I would like to see what your experience is. Thanks.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Looks like you will only be able to see the end bars and the bees on the end bars using that side of the deep. Using the longer side of the deep you would be able to see an actual frame, but more times then not the end frames of a deep are honey frames. Either way it should be interesting, keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
There was a posting in BC where a guy in FL made covers for his hives out of white opaque plastic and within a week or so all SHB where gone. I just wonder how this will affect the bees since the hive is dark in nature. Looks very cool, keep us posted for sure!!

Looks like you will only be able to see the end bars
Maybe some acrylic frames??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts