Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think this is a good idea to avoid building of separate hive covers for nucleus hives hosting multiple queens?

______common jar feeder________CROWN BOARD
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ QE
|queen#1 + bees | queen#2 + bees|

I plan on using quart jar feeders for the nucs, protected by an empty hive body.

Thanks,
Cristian

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is. However if I remember corectly virgin queens can pass queen excluders.
I think I'll use a migratory cover though.

Did you mention anything about winter? I haven't seen one since 2010 in my country :) Anyway I've seen people wintering 3 frames of bees and made it. I think Michael Palmer/Kirk Webster method on wintering double nucs is brilliant. In my country I could easily winter a single divided in two with 2 queens. For the first summer I'm planning to have them use a deep super above an excluder.
As I've seen the evolution of my 2 hives(my first experience of this kind) these nucs could become real production colonies in the next spring.

Thanks,
Cristian

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
> if I remember corectly virgin queens can pass queen excluders.

Virgin queens have the same size thorax as mated queens and that is what stops them. ANY queen can get through excluder if she's motivated enough, in my experience, but most are not motivated enough.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
It is not true that "virgin" queens can pass through a queen excluder. It is not the girth of a queens abdomen that makes a queen excluder function. It is the size of a queen's thorax that prevents them from passing through a queen excluder. And the size of a queen's thorax remains virtually the same throughout her adult life. Queens that can easily pass through a queen excluder are generally underdeveloped queens, whose thorax is smaller than the thorax of normally developed queens. Also, queens can pass through an excluder, if a portion of the excluder is slightly out of calibration (wires stretched or slightly too far apart).

Of course even the thorax is made of slightly flexible tissues, so could potentially be flexed enough to pass the excluder, as MB has mentioned, with sufficient motivation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts