Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My best or biggest coloy swarmed this year and I caught them. Before they swarmed I made two nucs from the colony cause I did not want to loss all the bees. The swarm ended up being five or six frames of bees. This was Early May and they had one deep full and the second being drawn and packed with honey but still was enough room that you would not expect a swarm from overcrowding. I stopped to check in on them and saw that they were getting ready to swarm already. I took the queen today and put her in a brood-less nuc with honey and moved her to another yard. I plan on making two nucs with queen cells. I am still learning and did not have time ro read if this was the optimal way to deal with it but I believe I did something right anyway.

Anyway, I guess Im wondering if this is typical that a second year queen just wanting to swarm constantly. Its actually fine with me at the moment cause this girl really goes to town with brood production and getting queens from her I dont mind. Im wondering what to do with her this fall? Should I pinch her or should I keep her for producing queens because I believe she is maybe is the best one I have other than liking to swarm?

·
Registered
817 Posts
If she is that good I would keep her. She is heading a large coloney and next year you can put her into a nuc and keep taking larva out to make new queens. Queens can live up to 5 years so pinching her is not what I would do.
Dan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts