Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 hives. One is doing very well and the other is terrible.

It started out as a nuc, then I accidentally squashed the queen somehow, and then got a new queen. She is laying somoe eggs, but the bees aren't making any wax for her to put eggs in. I got the bees in late May. I have been feeding them sugar water ALL summer and still no wax...have I been feeding the wrong concentration, or do you think there is something else wrong ? As a result this hive is very weak, but still lively when I look inside.
Help !
Nancy

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The sugar/water ratio right now is 1 part sugar & 1 part water, (half & half)...How much is the good hive feeding in one day and how much is the weak hive feeding in one day??? A good hive can suck down "approx" (give or take) a gallon of syrup a day!!

When did they stop drawing comb???....Somewhere in july???
Usually they will draw comb if you feed them! Then it depends on what kind of foundation your using...Does it have a wax coating or doesnt it....There are some factors involved!

The good part here is that you started with 2 hives and if push comes to shove you can combine the weak hive with the hive thats doing very well! But find the queen first of course in the weak hive! or keep the best queen! Also i want to add that alot of areas do well with wintering nucs but since your in New york i have no idea. You would need to look in on that to see if its a option for you just in case! Good Luck!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not fed the good hive and the bees and coming and going nicely.

The bad hive looks like perhaps 1-2 bees every 15 seconds leaving.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are still in one super with probably 1/2 of those with wax on them. I have "relocated" some eggs from the good hive to the bad.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Thats good, i wouldnt give no more or you might end up with 2 weak hives. Depending on how long ago you added the frame of eggs, check to see the progress in a week or two! Then determine what you need to do then! Is the queen that you have in the weak hive a good egg layer?? Hopefully she will be able to build the hive up, there is only so many weeks left until winter! If she doesnt you might want to think about combining them if its still weak! Then after winter you can split during the spring! IMO

P.S.-Have you looked in the good hive and inspected the food stores to see how much is there????

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The queen in the weak hive can't be a good layer if there's no room for her to lay. And this is the problem. No comb drawing out.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Have you inspected the good hive from top to bottom??? Are you feeding both hives?? and if you are feeding how much are they taking??? The only way they will draw comb is to feed and of course wait!!!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Have you inspected both hives by taking them completely apart to look in the bottom anytime during the summer?????? Just going by what your telling me, i can only suggest to keep feeding! You said you added eggs, if the good hive had lots of honey stored you can add a frame of honey but you never answered my question so its hard to say anything!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well if it was me, i would try and get that Duragilt out of there and then work some Wire Wax Foundation in. Feed them little heaver "2:1". That would help get those frames going. But if your really light on bees maybe just go ahead and combine. Just a thought....

Duragilt is a SIN! I have had my experience with that stuff never again!! The bees will only draw Duragilt out, if a decent flow is on. Other than that the bees wont touch it. :no:

Good luck!

Drew

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Get rid of the Duragilt at the earliest opportunity. Made for attracting beekeepers, not bees. Once the bees chew the wax off them you have nothing but a sheet of smooth plastic. If they can spare it, try moving a couple drawn frames from your other hive and see if the queen perks up and lays in them. Scratch some caps off brood and check for Varroa.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts