Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We started our first nuc last Saturday. Today we looked inside and it seems that we now have several queen cells. Do we let the bees decide on the new queen or do we eliminate the extras? The reading material seems to be vague on what to do.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well you could take one frame of bees from existing hive . and shake of bees into yet another nuc box with frame if a bit of food and ever so carefully cut out one cell and place it in that box between the frames..
Nature its take it course with the first nuc and you are hedging your bet with second..
GOOD luck .. i have a feeling you are gonna be very happy with the results after all you are a beekeeper . you are already a winner.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
This late in the season I would leave the queen cells and let them work it out. The first one to hatch will most likely destroy the other cell before it hatches. I would think you only have one shot at getting that queen mated if for some reason she fails to mate be prepared to combine it back to another hive or buy a mated queen and add some fresh brood to keep it strong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts