Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just pulled about 5 or 6 pounds of bees out of a soffet of a house using a beevac also getting all the honey and brood, got home put 2 frames of brood and honey tied with string in a deep brooder box with 3 other frames of foundation, the next morning almost all the bees were gone. do you think they found there way into my other hives?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i dont believe i got the queen because when i was done with getting these bees i noticed a small swarm hige up in a tree close by.

·
Registered
90 Posts
my opinion, they are gone. I had a (1) frames of bees and attempted to combine by shaking them in front of the hive and saw a terrible frenzy. They may have taken over a small hive??

·
Registered
458 Posts
beesandy,

I would go look nearby for the swarm of bees. If they were remove within a few miles of where you hived them then they could of made it back to the old hive. Look in all the trees that are nearby to see if you can find them. I would also go back and see if you can find the queen.

·
Registered
971 Posts
When you extract a hive, from my experiance, you need to do the best to a; get the queen, she is usally in the middle of the combs with brood and will run towards darker areas of the place the hive was, generaly after I remove al the comb and as many bees I can the first time I wait for 20-30 min and vac again, I do this 2-3 times trying to get into every nook and cranny I can get into. b; remove as much of the comb as you can, leaving to much will start building again if the queen is not cought.
If you can go back and check the area the hive was, depending on the distance the bees might have gone back. Makr sure that after all traces of the comb have been removed that the area is 'washed' down w/a strong soapy mixture or bleach water, to remove any of the remaining pharimones that may be left.
GOOD LUCK
I hope that it works out, as you do more extractions you'll get better at it and learn thru each one, I've done 13 and each one presents it's own challenge.
Also it is better IMHO to keep all the brood together in one hive, the more brood the more bees that tend to stay in the hive. Divideing the brood led to two hives w/the same sent.

------------------
'WHEN WE CLOSE OUR EYES WE ALL LOOK THE SAME' GWPW 03

[This message has been edited by SilverFox (edited August 11, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by SilverFox (edited August 11, 2004).]

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Usually with some brood in the box they stay, but sometimes they abscond. I'd look in the trees around there and see if you find them. They may have trouble finding a good place to move into. If they moved into one of your hives it would be as a group. You could see if one of the empty ones is occupied.

·
Registered
817 Posts
When I extract bees I put a queen excluder on the bottom board and on just below the inner cover. I leave that there for about a week. This will make sure that the queen stays and so will the bees. I agree with MB and also they really don't like the new place and it takes them some time to get use to it. After the innitial week I then take a look and see if the queen has started to lay. Another thought is that you did not get the queen and the bees are now heading out looking for her. Good luck.
Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts