Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a hive that has me a little vexed. It almost looks like I missed a swarm/supercedure. Getting a 2nd opinion.

Overwintered hive with a 2 year old queen. I assumed the hive would swarm I’ve been keeping an eye one it. Everything looked good several weeks ago. Queen was laying solid frames. I went out of town and didn’t check on the hive for 7-10 days. When I got back I noticed that the queen was not re-laying in the solid pattern but I did see small larvae. Then I saw the queen. She was very small and I immediately thought “That looks like an unmated queen”

Today, 7 days later, I got back in the hive and saw eggs but it was very spotty.

I’m thinking I missed a swarm or supercedure but I have not seen any empty queen cells on frames. I also didn’t notice a big drop in population. And I’ve got brood at various stages, just very few eggs/3 day old larvae.

Did I miss a swarm or is my queen just giving out? Open to opinions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any gap in ages of larvae or just diminished numbers?
I possibly. I should’ve dated The larvae more carefully. There was definitely open cells surrounded by capped brood that had not been re-layed. I did see the random egg here and there. No queen/supercedure cells

I didn’t notice deminshed numbers but it was wall to wall before I left town.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts