Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

2nd Honey Box under first?

1364 7
I just added my 2nd honey box and thought for the sake of time and travel for my bees I'll put it under my first and they can get to it faster and easier, was this OK?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Have they capped any of the honey? Yes, it'll save time. Is there any drawn comb in the new box? If not, definitely pull a frame of honey and move it to the empty box. That'll help to get them working on drawing out comb. You definitely don't want them to start backfilling the brood chamber, because they think there's no room. Sounds like you've got a good flow. You should get another box or two ready to go.

·
Registered
7,898 Posts
I used to 'bottom super' from time to time....until small hive beetles arrived. I lost a couple of strong colonies to 'em and I blame bottom supering. Bees will protect their brood from in hive pests but are less protective of their stores. If you isolate those stores from the brood area it'll only give the beetles a better foothold. In areas with shb...I recommend against it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.