Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just added my 2nd honey box and thought for the sake of time and travel for my bees I'll put it under my first and they can get to it faster and easier, was this OK?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sure. They may bypass the new box to get to the one they're currently filling. If they do, just pull a frame of honey and put it in the other box.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have almost filled the top box , I assume when they fill it they will be forced to drop down to the new box saving them time and travel?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Have they capped any of the honey? Yes, it'll save time. Is there any drawn comb in the new box? If not, definitely pull a frame of honey and move it to the empty box. That'll help to get them working on drawing out comb. You definitely don't want them to start backfilling the brood chamber, because they think there's no room. Sounds like you've got a good flow. You should get another box or two ready to go.

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
I used to 'bottom super' from time to time....until small hive beetles arrived. I lost a couple of strong colonies to 'em and I blame bottom supering. Bees will protect their brood from in hive pests but are less protective of their stores. If you isolate those stores from the brood area it'll only give the beetles a better foothold. In areas with shb...I recommend against it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes they are capping the top box and the second box has been drawn out, I bought used boxes ready to go.Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advise, my plan is to pull the top box as soon as they are done capping, is there any problem with doing that?

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
is there any problem with doing that?
Were you asking me? If so, I don't have an answer. I just don't bottom super any more....not at all...not even for a few days. Will it be a problem for you? I have no idea.
Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts