Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I'm a 1st year beekeeper and I finally had a question I wasn't able to find the answer to easily. I started with some package bees back in April and once they filled up the single hive body with 9 frames, I added the 2nd hive body. The whole time I had been feeding them syrup since I had read to keep feeding until I was ready to put on the honey supers this first year. I stopped feeding and added honey supers about 4 weeks ago since they had drawn out all the frames of the 2nd hive body. Problem is, the 2nd hive body is entirely filled with syrup (and :no: heavy) with the exception of a few clusters of drone brood on the outside of first and last frames. I gather that this is not really ideal since I want the hivebody to be filled with brood.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this happening again, and is there anything I can do to start getting brood into the 2nd hive body to replace the frames of syrup?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Pretty normal for a first year hive you didn't put extra room on early.

What the beekeeping books don't always tell you is that the number of bees in the hive drops off after the summer solstice in preparation for winter, and they will not usually keep two deeps of brood going this time of year. My limited experience is six or so frames in the bottom and two or three in the top, sometimes less if there is no real nectar flow.

If you have plenty of brood in the bottom box I'd leave well enough alone. We can end up with very little brood this time of year, they shut down raising bees due to the pollen and nectar dearth. They start back up in late August when all the fall asters start blooming, collecting pollen like crazy and making honey from the asters, particularly goldenrod.

Don't know what if any fall flow you have, but if you have a deep full of syrup capped, likely you are set for winter and don't need to interfere much.

Peter

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
sounds good to me. early preperations for winter done. keep a super on top for another flow, back-off on the feeding. I assume that the 2 boxes are deeps but if not you could need 3 mediums depending on your local climate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts