Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it seems that I successfully wintered my first bee hive with a single deep. They got off to a slow start so I was unable to add to the deep before winter hit. Now its warming up down here in Texas and the hive is filling up. Im sure that there is no rule but can I get opinions on what is best, to add a second deep or to work my way up with mediums from here?

Thanks!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would go with the deep so you can move a couple frames up to the new box to bait them up. Move two brood combs up to the middle of the new box and replace those two combs in the bottom box with new frames. They will start working the new box faster this way.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
The general rule is always 80%. When the previous boxes are 80% full, add some boxes.

> can I get opinions on what is best, to add a second deep or to work my way up with mediums from here?

The bees could care less. I want all the same size boxes and I want boxes I can lift, so all mine are eight frame mediums. If you have deeps and mediums and intend to use them all, then the deep would be lighter with brood in it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts