Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My son and I went out and vacuumed up as many bees as we could and finished getting the comb out of the tire as much as reasonable. We got two five gallon buckets of comb out of that tire and plenty of bees for a second hive.

My son is the rock star though. He was pulling out old warped comb that size of gallon jugs and suddenly he shouts out he sees the queen. Sure enough, superstar did it. He found the queen in that great big old tire. Unbelievable.

That makes colonies five and six.

The bees are pretty hot. I think I'm going to requeen anyway. Bees really bump our veils and do their best to sting us. Might have been because we were tearing down their house too.

When we went out to the bee yard to put up the second hive. Bees from the first hive met us several feet away and immediately began bumping our veils. Pretty agressive. Is this normal for a cutout or do I have aggressive bees?

Big thanks to my rockstar son.

Working in the hives, we sprayed sugar syrup with HBH on them to keep them down. It helped some. But boy there were alot of bees in the air.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I am glad you decided to go back and I would say you are also.

Tell your son he did an excellent job of finding that queen, great confidence builder for him.

The first hive at your house might be a little pissy since they are queenless.

Good Job to both of you!!

G3

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have thought about this for awhile and I'm definately going to requeen.

Requeening only has positives and not requeening leaves me open to who knows what.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have thought about this for awhile and I'm definately going to requeen.

Requeening only has positives and not requeening leaves me open to who knows what.
I'm just a new guy but I think I would wait and see if they mellow out after a couple of weeks perhaps.

If they aren't AHB then you have got some really healthy survivors to your benefit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts