Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have here a wormy weather for almost a week(36 celcius).
I have one hive that i split and wait the girls to raise a new queen for 29 days allready. every week i put one frame of brood with eggs, so the girls will raise new queen.

Last week was the first time i didn't see any queen cells, so i thought i have a virgin queen inside the hive

I did my weekly insoection today, hopping to see some eggs from a new queen
that the bees raised. no eggs, no queen cells and no laying worker. I put another brood frame with eggs from another hive.

Maybe i have a failed virgin queen inside? what i need to do from now on?

Thanks
Randi

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I have seen virgins that took up to 2 weeks to get bred and start laying.. possible she is there and just has not yet mated or has yet to start laying

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I put another brood frame with eggs from another hive.
Maybe i have a failed virgin queen inside? what i need to do from now on?
Thanks
Randi
I think you have done all you can do now but wait, the frame with eggs is a good idea, Good Luck

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
It sounds like you've done all you can do. It's very possible that on your last inspection your new queen was out on a mating flight. If you give them a frame with eggs and they aren't making queen cells and you don't have laying workers....then you've got a queen. Patience. And good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
It's hard to be patient after you've been so patient. I would still give them a frame of green brood to see what they do and then wait. In fact, you don't have much choice. I'm anxious to know how you do with that one!

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Last summer it took me 2 months to get my hive to produce a laying queen, after the old one died.

I did as you put a frame with eggs in every other week until they succeeded.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts