Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will they calm down soon or do I need to keep them in the dark? The buzzing noise they're making is getting annoying and they're running on the glass getting that dirtier than I thought it would get. I don't have an entrance tube through the wall yet, is being trapped in there causing them to get excited? I'm feeding sugar water now and I might start feeding pollen as I don't see any, I'm asuuming this is right? Otherwise stocking it went pretty smooth. Thanks - Mark Jourdan

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
"Will they calm down soon or do I need to keep them in the dark"

They should calm down soon, and keeping them in the dark helps I think but I am no expert, just think about it if some one snatched you out of your house and put you in a glass box what would you do ;)

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
If you took the bees from one of your local hives it will take three days (72 hours)for the calm to start. After three days things will be calm. I would not let the o hive have access to free flight for three days.
I would cover the glass with a dark colored cloth to reduce the light also if it were mine.
The bees will clean the interior of the hive, they will adjust.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bees do not have access to free flight, and it will take me at least a few more days to get the entrance tube installed, so its good to read you recommend 72 hours Power Napper. So far they’ve been in the light during the day, as I’d rather not mess around with shutters or such if I don’t have to but the constant buzzing might drive me to it. They do seam a lot calmer at night in the dark.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts