Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK,
I just got asked to come by someone’s home and take a look at a hive that has been in a hollow/dead tree for “several years” according to the property owners. They want to take the tree down but would like for someone to attempt to remove the hive prior to removing the tree. I plan on taking a swarm trap initially and setting it up for awhile and then assess the removal if possible. I am also going to attempt to use my FLIR depending on the circumference of the tree to get the exact location of the hive inside. Good problem to have here in Lancaster County, SC.
Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
Bees
33 Posts
OK,
I just got asked to come by someone’s home and take a look at a hive that has been in a hollow/dead tree for “several years” according to the property owners. They want to take the tree down but would like for someone to attempt to remove the hive prior to removing the tree. I plan on taking a swarm trap initially and setting it up for awhile and then assess the removal if possible. I am also going to attempt to use my FLIR depending on the circumference of the tree to get the exact location of the hive inside. Good problem to have here in Lancaster County, SC.
Any thoughts?
Maybe a trap out might work better?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks 2nd swarm of 2022 moved into the swarm box yesterday in the backyard here at the house. Bees were coming and going last evening. I was out of town for a couple days fly fishing and did not get to see them move in. I will take a look again tomorrow and verify. Fingers crossed….

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey folks,

So I went over to the place that has the bee tree and took a look. There has been a hive in the tree for at least the past 15 yrs. The entrance is about 25’ up. the tree is in pretty bad shape and they will eventually remove it. However, They are going to give me a shot at removing/trapping the colony somehow. With that being said, I placed a swarm trap for now and will stat putting together a plan to try and get them out of the tree. Initial thought is to get a boom lift and get up there with a modified deep where they will have to go through the deep box to come and go. I will place a frame of wet brood in the box as well as they pass through and maybe entice the queen to come out see what’s going on? Probably a long shot. I am still working on it.

Tree Twig Terrestrial plant Wood Trunk
Sky Plant Cloud Wood Twig
Plant Woody plant Grass Shrub Groundcover

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey folks,
I was mowing backyard today and had a swarm come over the house and head straight to a swarm box in a tree. watched th‘em make themselves at home then got a call that someone had a swarm on their front porch so headed over there and housed them. So, 2 for today here in South carolina. It’s on around here I reckon.

Plant Building Wood Twig Wall
Pollinator Beehive Sky Insect Bird

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK folks,
We are now up to 8 swarms so far this spring with NO end in site. It is shaping up to be a great year for bees here in Lancaster County, SC.

Any one else having this good of a swarm season?

Happy Hunting. Thanks..

·
Registered
437 Posts
OK folks,
We are now up to 8 swarms so far this spring with NO end in site. It is shaping up to be a great year for bees here in Lancaster County, SC.

Any one else having this good of a swarm season?

Happy Hunting. Thanks..
Amazing! I'm so happy for you, man! We had a swarm go through are yard but it didn't stop at one of my swarm traps. I am really hoping for one, so I can start my first bee colony ever.
Congrads again!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Amazing! I'm so happy for you, man! We had a swarm go through are yard but it didn't stop at one of my swarm traps. I am really hoping for one, so I can start my first bee colony ever.
Congrads again!
Bee J,
Where are you located? If you are near me, I would be willing to give you a swarm. I would just need 5 deep frames in return.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey folks,

Update to post #7 above; I finally have a few scout bees checking out the swarm trap I placed in that area to try and get a swarm off that feral hive. Fingers crossed it’s from them and they like the new digs. Will update soon.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Bee J,
Where are you located? If you are near me, I would be willing to give you a swarm. I would just need 5 deep frames in return.
You can't see it on my profile when you hover over my avatar? I thought I fixed that.:unsure: It should say... Halifax, Virginia, USA. That's where I am located.
I really appreciate your offer a lot!:) But the drive is too far for me at this time. In the future I might consider something like that, though. But thanks for your generosity towards me, that's an incredible offer!:) I just wish we lived closer. I wish you the very best season, man! Have a great week!

Keep Buzzing, BEEJ

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey folks,
I just pulled a swarm box off my hunting property full of bees over to the home yard. This is the 3rd swarm from this location and the 9th total for me for 2022 here in Lancaster County, SC.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hey folks,
I just pulled a swarm box off my hunting property full of bees over to the home yard. This is the 3rd swarm from this location and the 9th total for me for 2022 here in Lancaster County, SC.
I'm so glad for you! You've collected hundreds of dollars' worth of bees! :)

I just caught my first swarm and installed it last week. I hope your installs went well!

Keep Buzzing, BEEJ

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm so glad for you! You've collected hundreds of dollars' worth of bees! :)

I just caught my first swarm and installed it last week. I hope your installs went well!

Keep Buzzing, BEEJ
Congratulations!!
Kind of cool a swarm and get it in a hive ’eh? All of my installs have gone well. I’ve even re homed a few to other new beekeepers. Good luck with the new colony.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Congratulations!!
Kind of cool a swarm and get it in a hive ’eh? All of my installs have gone well. I’ve even re homed a few to other new beekeepers. Good luck with the new colony.
Thank you. Yes it is very exciting! Sometimes I just love to sit down on a log and watch them for a while. I'm glad your installs went great and it's great that you've gotten to share with other newbies! I hope you have a fantastic season!

Your Pal, BEEJ 🐝 🐝 🐝

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok folks,
Been watching a swarm trap here at the home yard for the past couple days that had some heavy scouting going on. I figured there would be a swarm arriving in the next 24-48 hrs and like clock work, a swarm showed up yesterday around 11 am. (I did get it on film) This is the 3rd swarm in this box in this tree this year, and the 5th or 6th in the past 3 years. All from somewhere outside my yard. Either someone has bees close to me or, there is a few feral colonies near by. Good problem to have. This is the 10th swarm I have re-homed for 2022 here in Lancaster County, SC.

Good luck everyone on your swarm season.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts