Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
8,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got a handle on spring nuc and package prices yet? It is getting to be time to lock down supplies for the spring. The last two seasons have knocked the crap out of my numbers and I may be in the market this spring.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,210 Posts
Most of the CA suppliers have posted prices. It looks like Mann Lake is also taking orders for shipping bees - although not likely the most affordable option.

From what I've seen, however, prices are way up. Nucs were around 180 last year, seeing them around $240 this year.

·
Registered
8,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just checked the best local five frame nucs and they have went from $165 to $185. You make that sound cheap! Gib Earl in Spokane area is at $150 for good bees but he makes them up a day or two before sale and they come with a caged queen and sometimes are full of emergency cells and hobbyist cannot handle them. I bet the thinking is that with honey prices up, those bees usually cheap surplus after pollination are now viewed as producers of a huge crop of honey at good price! Boom bust farmer stuff.

·
Registered
4 hives
12 Posts
Dumb hobbyists! Can't handle swarm cells...... :ROFLMAO:
3rd year beekeeper. I started with 2 packages, bought 2 more the next season and currently have 5 colonies lost one early on in winter. I have treated for mites provided adequate stores and hope all overwinter. I am concerned for 1 colony but as of now they are still alive yet small. I am looking to avoid “buying bees” every year. This will be my first time starting with overwintered nucs and am curious as to there production. I agree the price is steep, one of the most expensive I’ve found, the convenience of driving 1 mile for pick up swayed me to pull the the trigger. Inflation in bees as well I guess. Living in the northeast ain’t cheap and in NY taboot isn’t getting any cheaper lol.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
$200 for nucs seems like their new price, that's with a caged queen.

Packages are $200 from mann lake.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My daughter and I will have a limited number of 5 frame nucs available on or before April 1.
Pick up only. Florida queens from Indian Summer Apiary in Fl.
$175 each. This is the third year we have sold nucs, but we only sell about a dozen.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Tom.I also live in NY...That's way to much.A local Amish man to me is going to be selling double deeps here for 250.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
If a package of bees sells for $200 from mann lake, how is it too much to sell a nuc for the same amount?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Stiles Apiary in NJ is quoting $200 for 5 frame nucs. I've had really good luck on his bees. I'm on the fence if I'm going to buy bees with plans for a bunch of splits from my best existing hives this Spring, so it'll be a call on equipment and winter recovery. I'll need to wait them out until we start seeing some drones flying here in May just as swarm season hits. I may do some early (April) splits with some of the second-tier producer hives and get some early southern Polyline/VSH queens to get them up and running and see how they do.

I been giving a lot of consideration on the cost of boxes and will be getting some quotes this week.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
One of the bigger suppliers in Wisconsin is at 148 dollars for a 3 lb package, and 175 for a 5 frame nuc. . Still waiting on prices from the other supplier.

Crazy Roland

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
$200-$250 for a nuc.

If it's overwintered it'll be higher in price.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts