Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a brand new topic, hot off the presses.

Our neighbors a few doors down have a pool and the style of the pool is one where the water will puddle in the lip around the pool. The perfect safe place for the bees to land. I tried last year to lure the bees away with another pool in their flight path. As you have implied, it is hard if not impossible to "retrain".

We have a reliable swamp on our property but it is entirely possible the chlorine and heated pool is too much enticing for the bees. My plan for this year was to use a black stock tank, put a pool solar heater cover on it, and use the same brand chorine as the neighbors pool.

I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out if I should put it in the flight path or 180 degrees the opposite direction. My hope is to get it started in March so that it remains a reliable source and hopefully they don't go looking.

Registered
This is a brand new topic, hot off the presses. As you have implied, it is hard if not impossible to "retrain".
That pretty much sums it up;) It will be nearly impossible for them to refrain from a heated pool &/or Hotub (short of draining them), even if you supply a similar source. Especially in late winter/early Spring as brood rearing cranks up. A hail marry may be to get water from there pool & keep it warm/heated in a large container in your yard:D

Registered
Get some entrance feeders, the kind everyone says (rightly) not to use cos they are vulnerable to robbing. Put one on each hive. In the jar, instead of sugar syrup, put water, with a pinch of salt.

Registered
I have had several hottub-bee problems laid in my lap to solve, and while it may seem difficult, and may be impossible for some pools, covering the source of water and providing an alternate, highly reliable source closer to the hive for a few weeks can solve these issues. This is much easier with small pools than large ones, of course.

Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
Not sure this would work

"We have a reliable swamp on our property but it is entirely possible the chlorine and heated pool is too much enticing for the bees. My plan for this year was to use a black stock tank, put a pool solar heater cover on it, and use the same brand chorine as the neighbors pool. "

May end up being "training" for the bees. getting them to "like" the pool water and then stay out of the pool seems to not work in my head.

I would focus on closer, easier, the entrance feeder suggested sounds like a better idea.

I am not a water bee expert so cannot say with past experience to back it up.

GG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts