Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, what else can I say other than one of my hives had a bad case of EFB. Lifted the lid, and yep - I knew I was screwed.

Did the string test, not stringy.

OTC treatment went on, like I did last year - Just sprinkled the entire box with a high dose.

Two of the closest hives also had EFB, but it was considerably less severe.

The other colonies didn't have any evidence of EFB.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
The bees have probably been digging down into stored pollen and honey. There is strong suggestion that the bacteria can remain active for something approaching 2 years in beebread. The OTC does not deactivate that. I dont know whether you can continue OTC long enough till the stored material times out. I have some stored comb but will not consider trying it till well after 2 years.

The possibility exists too, that the reinfection source is external to your own hives.

Once you know the smell you do not easily forget it. Trouble is that that smell is not always present but varies with the particular secondary associated bacterial hitchhikers it picks up.

Attachments

·
Registered
899 Posts
It takes a sensitive nose.
We had Randy O for a club meeting a while back,opened some hives and on one, as soon as he popped the top, he said he smelled EFB.
Most in the crowd could not smell it,myself included,even up close.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
The smell apparently is from secondary opportunistic bacteria. It can vary considerably and there can be no smell in some confirmed cases. I had smelled an off smell for some time but thought it was from pooped up frames. It was noticeable three feet or so in front of the hives.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OTC has improved the situation considerably....but I need more.

I've discovered that even with a VFD, it's a giant pain in the rear end trying to order OTC remotely.

Mann Lake's office is closed?

Seriously, how the heck are we supposed to get our hands on OTC if they won't even pick up the darn phone?

·
Registered
899 Posts
I f you have a VFD from a vet ,ask the vet where to get it locally.OTC or Terramycine is sold at farm supply stores and pet supply stores.
Do you have a Tractor Supply or a Petco nearby?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I f you have a VFD from a vet ,ask the vet where to get it locally.OTC or Terramycine is sold at farm supply stores and pet supply stores.
Do you have a Tractor Supply or a Petco nearby?
Oxytetracycline, not terramycine.

Edit. Ok, they're the same thing...if I don't get a response from the beekeeping supply companies, I'll just go to tractor supply.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...Just a PSA: If you think there's a chance you will need OTC this year, it's not easy getting an order placed.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Oxytetracycline, not terramycine.

Edit. Ok, they're the same thing...if I don't get a response from the beekeeping supply companies, I'll just go to tractor supply.
unless tractor supply is selling it out the back door, none of them around here have it in the medicine isles.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Today I obtained OTC from a beekeeping supply company.

I fear Mann-Lake has dropped the ball on this one...

PM me and I can give you more details.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts