1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
View attachment 45165

2017 on bottom.
2018 on top.

The 2018 honey (top) has LOTS more flavor than the stuff on bottom. I would have expected the lighter colored honey to be on top.

I think the 2018 might be mostly maple. They were working the bigleaf maples big time, but they didn't cap it until very late in the season.

Just thought it was interesting how it stayed separated...

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
My 2018 honey all crystallized within six months. First time I have had honey crystallize at any age.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Finorknerbee, the difference does not surprise me. The big leaf maple flow was huge in 2018 and I really love the taste. The blackberry flow was much smaller in my area. The flavor of the maple is so strong that it overwhelms any other varieties it is mixed with. It seems to me that every year around here has a very different taste, color and consistency.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The stuff I pulled from a cut out was super thick. My hives, regular. Just depends on what is in the area.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
The first batch of honey I extracted for 2018 was the opposite of your photo. the lighter colored honey was on top. Good flavor from both layers though. This was the first time I had the honey separate into layers like that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts