Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does the BK on this Forum know about the money being given for draught conditions throughout several states? what needs to be done to qualify for funding for feed, hive loss, etc.? I know there is has been information given to me by local ranchers that is recieving money for cattle feed and water in the time of drought and even the smaller ranchers are recieving thousands of dollars. I understand BK will not probably get much for funding but just a couple barrels of sugar would help. :scratch:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Go to your local USDA office or county agent office . It's easy to sign up . Some times it's a crap shoot what u get . I have got from $20 to thousands of dollars from signing up for these things . Not bee related in the past for cows and farming . But now have to work the bees in .

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I read through the entire mess of doccuments that I could find for the bill and the previous one. It's very specific in what it will pay for when applied to the bees. If you can prove CCD on a colony (third person certified), have a long winter starve out, or if you have to feed them due to drought or longer winters, they will pay out. Also will pay out for mother nature ruining your woodenware or total hive destruction. According to the old rules (since i couldn't find any new ones) the price for a total hive is $200, which i believe you get 60% of, and total cost to replace a CCD colony is $75 and it's at 70%, and the winter losses is something stated like anything over 17.5% at a rate of again 70%. Thtat's what i recall, the feed is another thing, can't recall exact details...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information if you decide to go through the program I would be interested in hearing the outcome and the difficulty of the process. I dont think ill take a day off work to meet with USDA for my small operation.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thanks for the information if you decide to go through the program I would be interested in hearing the outcome and the difficulty of the process. I dont think ill take a day off work to meet with USDA for my small operation.
I will just not sure which one they want let u do two or three on this go around . But will be signing up . Because its free money and we mite as well get it . And some of it you have a year to sign up .

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I will just not sure which one they want let u do two or three on this go around . But will be signing up . Because its free money and we mite as well get it . And some of it you have a year to sign up .
I'm with you on this one. Going to contact the USDA office in the morning to see what I need to do as well.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Tomorrow 8/1 is the last day to file for 2012 & 2013 losses! you have till nov 1 to file for 2014 (which was winter 2013-14)

I was at my local FSA (farm service agency) eg USDA office to get paperwork to file for losses for 2012, 2013, 2014.

They are paying flat fees. Roughly $80 per "colony" and $220 per "hive". Its more than a bit unclear as to what they define as colony and hive, I was told to fill out colony as the physical bees, and hive as the "structure they live in".

Your eligible for reimbursement over 17.5% loss on colonies. (ie if you had 100 colonies in fall 2013, and spring 2014 you had 85, you would be ineligible for reimbursement as "normal mortality rate for honeybee colonies is 17.5%") if you lost 19, you could get paid for the last 2. etc.

Hives listed a 75% loss rate. (get paid for anything over 75% loss)

You could also file for feed loss due to "an eligible adverse weather or loss condition". EG your tank of HFCS was damaged in storm, or washed away in a flood etc.

FYI There is a LOT ... i mean a LOT of paperwork to file if you want to put into the system. If your like most beeks and keep bees on some other farm location, you are required to record those farm ID numbers, Which means you need to be added to the "system" as an "other producer" on that farm plot. So if you had 10 outyards, youll need to have the farm ID numbers for all those outyards, and have those "farmers" call and make shure your listed on there farm ID as an "other producer"

If you only kept bees on your own property/farm, its much less complicated.

Dont forget your CCC-941 form that says you dont make more than $900,000 else you might not get any subsidies. (yeh, i get to give permission for the CCC request tax info from the IRS in support of the above statement, that i dont make more than 900K)

·
Registered
892 Posts
Now with that above post made.

The stack of paperwork I'm looking at isn't worth the $320 I could POTENTIALLY receive for my 4 losses over 3 years.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Dont forget your CCC-941 form that says you dont make more than $900,000 else you might not get any subsidies. (yeh, i get to give permission for the CCC request tax info from the IRS in support of the above statement, that i dont make more than 900K)
Join the club. It's great, isn't it? :ws:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts