Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to purchase either 2 packages or 2 nucs this year.I have been looking for a few days,seems everyone is sold out? Does anyone know who may still have nucs or packages or sale? I live in Ligonier Pa.Will need them shipped if the distance is over 3 hours. Also any pros and cons on packages vs nucs? Thanks in advance ;)

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Nucs aren't that much more expensive than packages, and they build up much, much quicker. I got a surplus off my nucs last season.
Also, nuc breeders generally see if a queen is laying well before releasing the nuc for sale. I've bought both packages and nucs, and will go with nucs every time, if possible.
Now, if you do that, feed feed feed, to get them built up into the equipment you want them to inhabit. you've got to prepare them for the upcoming winter, so they'll thrive next spring. you might even get a little bit of honey off them this year, but you've got to leave them enough for winter.
Welcome! You're going to have a lot of fun as a beek!
Steven

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I'll be bringing some honey up to the Pittsburg area in May(eary to mid) then I may go over east to beeline. If this would work let me know....5 frame nucs are $100 ea ina plastic box you keep

·
Registered
81 Posts
Packages are still available. Call Simpson's Bee Supply in Danville, Ohio. I just ordered 10 packages this week for April 8th pickup. If you order them the same time as I, i can save you a trip to Ohio. You could pick them up in Monongahela (about an hour or so from you). They are italians from Georgia.

Brushy Mountain near Penn State may still have packages available for May 8 pickup. They are also italians from Georgia.

PM me if you need phone numbers.
Al

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'll be bringing some honey up to the Pittsburg area in May(eary to mid) then I may go over east to beeline. If this would work let me know....5 frame nucs are $100 ea ina plastic box you keep
suttonbeeman- are you headed anywhere near Philly on your way east after Pittsburgh?

·
Registered
196 Posts
.I have been looking for a few days,seems everyone is sold out? ;)
There is a spring rush and shortage of packages in April and May but in previous years I've been able to get packages mailed straight to my house form the GA producers once things slow down for them a bit.
If it is a first hive, no one want to wait but later is always an option and some say better quality queens.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just talked to a friend and he said he was able to order 10 packages from Beeline apiary in near Bedford Pa. They should be pretty close to you. Expected to arrive Mid April. Call they may have more for sale.

Back to your original question, I agree, nucs will probably build up to produce a stronger colony with a better chance of winter survival. They may be a little more expensive, especially if shipping a long distance. It is a good idea, if possible, to inspect nuc for any disease problems.

Good luck this season,
Al

·
Registered
51 Posts
Im looking to purchase either 2 packages or 2 nucs this year.I have been looking for a few days,seems everyone is sold out? Does anyone know who may still have nucs or packages or sale? I live in Ligonier Pa.Will need them shipped if the distance is over 3 hours. Also any pros and cons on packages vs nucs? Thanks in advance ;)
Brushy may still have packages for May 8th Pick up. They have a new store in New Columbia, highway 15 North of Lewisburg or way south of Williamsport. order by phone only.

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts